Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Fluent in Latin??

Spritzer Swallower

Default Anyone Fluent in Latin??

Helpful Intellectuals Needed So I immediately thought of you guys!!!
    Need to translate the phrase 'The Red Lion' into Latin .....also 'A Lion of Bath' in latin would be very useful...I know Bath was once Aquae Sulis and Lion is Leo but need the correct wording for 'of' or possibly 'from'.
    All suggestions greatly accepted.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Red Lion ..... rutilus leo
    Lion of Bath....... leo of balieum
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Soup dragon may be your man for this but

this site gives Rutilus Leo for Red Lion and ex, de, a, ab, abs, quo for "from", (quo is probably best for a place). It can't work out a translation for "of"
    Of course "Bath" works for something you bathe in but not for the city so go with "Aquae Sulis". "A" lion is probably a different word (ending) to "The" Lion.

Sadly English and Latin don't work the same way so for example there isn't a word that just means "red" it sort of depends on how red, how many red things, what's red and when it's red, so words like Rubeus, rufus, rubicundu(lu)s and ruber all mean red in different ways. Rutilus means red but tending to golden yellow or even ginger haired according to my old latin dictionary:

I'm tempted to say "Leo Rufus" or "Leo quo Aqvae Svlis"

Spritzer Swallower

Many thanks chaps!....Obviously I tried a few of the internet translation sites..but got the impression they were just translating word for word...and as oldboots points out Latin doesn't really work that simply.... think I might go for "Leo quo Aqvae Svlis" it sort of sounds right!....unless anyone else suggests it's grammatically wrong of course!!!

Let me sleep on it - Latin was a strong point of mine... years ago!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I have a vague feeling that the 'possessive' (well, in this case 'of') is indicated by a suffix of some sort; maybe summat like 'Leo Aquae Sulisus', though I was terrible at this in '77 so am probably still way off.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well I have asked around and:
    Want the Genative for lion of bath. Aquae sulis being the noun for which you require the genative. Do not know how sulis declines, is a goddess (maybe Sul / Sulis??), and Aquae would be possibly plural of Water (i.e. waters), meaning Sulis already a Genative. Not sure about that one. The Genative plural of aqua is likely aquarum (cf puella).
    So: Leo Aquarum Sulis (doesn't really look right though as not sure about Sulis).
    I have to admit I am little the wiser, but anything to muddy the waters.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Pretty sure that trainman's logic is correct, ie it is all down to the word ending/declension. It was a long long time ago that I scraped Latin O level, but J"C" Wilde would've known wouldn't he tm?*

* Apologies for the in-joke on here.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Soup dragon may be your man for this but

this site gives Rutilus Leo for Red Lion and ex, de, a, ab, abs, quo for "from", (quo is probably best for a place). It can't work out a translation for "of"
    Of course "Bath" works for something you bathe in but not for the city so go with "Aquae Sulis". "A" lion is probably a different word (ending) to "The" Lion.

Sadly English and Latin don't work the same way so for example there isn't a word that just means "red" it sort of depends on how red, how many red things, what's red and when it's red, so words like Rubeus, rufus, rubicundu(lu)s and ruber all mean red in different ways. Rutilus means red but tending to golden yellow or even ginger haired according to my old latin dictionary:

I'm tempted to say "Leo Rufus" or "Leo quo Aqvae Svlis"
    Being red haired myself(OK ginger) i think i should maybe change my name , Oggwyn Rutilus has a certain ring , sounds like a Romano/British warlord or maybe something out of Carry on Cleo
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Being red haired myself(OK ginger) i think i should maybe change my name , Oggwyn Rutilus has a certain ring , sounds like a Romano/British warlord or maybe something out of Carry on Cleo
    all together now; "infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me" (I'll get me coat)

We are fast approaching the Peter Cook sketch (E L Wisty?) "I could have been a judge but I didn't have the Latin"