Ads not shown when logged in
Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Wondered what had happened to Brumaison. Never got to try Constellation.
    Quite a few on there I've never tried. At least Kelham Island is going to rise from the ashes , which of course I have tried ( Kelham Island, not rising from the ashes).
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Wondered what had happened to Brumaison. Never got to try Constellation.
    The Brumaison owner / brewer retired and the kit was sold. Shame, though, because he did some good beers.

Canopy on the way out according to Des de Moor on Twitter.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 07-11-2022 at 13:26.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Missed the Round

There is rumour that S43 (formerly Sonnet 43) has closed its doors, but can't find any official confirmation and in fact their latest Facebook post status "Maybe don't believe everything you hear" so who knows?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Leeds Brewery on the way out.

The latest newsletter from Wakefield CAMRA stated that Leeds Brewery has been served a winding up petition from HMRC. Confirmation here:https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/york...ng-up-petition

I've certainly enjoyed a good few pints of Midnight Bell down the years, but can't remember the last time I had a LB beer.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    The latest newsletter from Wakefield CAMRA stated that Leeds Brewery has been served a winding up petition from HMRC. Confirmation here:https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/york...ng-up-petition

I've certainly enjoyed a good few pints of Midnight Bell down the years, but can't remember the last time I had a LB beer.
    The Midnight Bell pub, Cross Keys and Grove were my post-work drinking places when I worked there for eight years. Even made it to the Garden Gate once

They seemed to have slipped off the radar a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    The Midnight Bell pub, Cross Keys and Grove were my post-work drinking places when I worked there for eight years. Even made it to the Garden Gate once

They seemed to have slipped off the radar a bit
    That's a shame-I certainly enjoyed their beer about ten years ago.The only time I tend to see them are at The Chequers Inn, where I've usually swerved them in favour of Brown Cow beers, but I think that they've mooed their last,too.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    There is rumour that S43 (formerly Sonnet 43) has closed its doors, but can't find any official confirmation and in fact their latest Facebook post status "Maybe don't believe everything you hear" so who knows?
    False alarm. Just moving premises.

A cynical person could suggest that they let a little rumour slip out and spread in order to encourage a flurry of online sales from people desperate to get a final order in, thereby reducing the amount of stock they have to shift to new premises. But I guess we will never know!

A winding up petition can be resisted, so it's not necessarily the end.

I had a Midnight Bell in the Old White Bear in Hampstead, of all places, in February this year. And I've had the Leeds Pale, which is a very good beer too, three times this year: twice at the Original Oak in Headingley (once before a Leeds Rhinos game and once at tea-time during a Yorkshire cricket match in the county championship) and once at the rather poor Barnbow in Crossgates.

I don't know how many pubs they own, but the Brewery Tap near the station is a reliable venue for a between-trains beer and would be a sad loss if they do go under. (Last time I was there they didn't have Midnight Bell on and I had to make do with Rudgate Ruby Mild.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I don't know how many pubs they own, but the Brewery Tap near the station is a reliable venue for a between-trains beer and would be a sad loss if they do go under. (Last time I was there they didn't have Midnight Bell on and I had to make do with Rudgate Ruby Mild.)
    The Leeds Brewery pubs were sold to Camerons in July 2016 so they are safe. It would be a shame if the brewery did go under as I've enjoyed Leeds Pale and Midnight Bell over the years.