Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

This Space For Hire

Its probably because they sell beer to Wetherspoons that they have gone bust. As we know Wetherspoons buy it cheaply but you need to be selling large quantities to make it economical.They have an 8bbl kit as far as I know which is not the scale you would need to make money. Somerset with its lack of freehouses has always been a minefield for brewers.

This Space For Hire

Brodies brewery was wound up on 3rd of October last year also on the same page of liquidations were Milk Street from Somerset.Both breweries beers have been spotted recently.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Brodies brewery was wound up on 3rd of October last year .
    Really? What are KW4, Old coffee house etc, serving now then..?

This Space For Hire

Brodies beers according to the pumpclip but brewed in Wales.

Brodies beers according to the pumpclip but brewed in Wales.
    Are they not brewing at the Wobbly brewery any more?

Its probably because they sell beer to Wetherspoons that they have gone bust. As we know Wetherspoons buy it cheaply but you need to be selling large quantities to make it economical.They have an 8bbl kit as far as I know which is not the scale you would need to make money. Somerset with its lack of freehouses has always been a minefield for brewers.
    Wetherspoon didn't force them to sell their beer to them! The fact they had to is the point. From what I've heard from a local brewer Enterprise are just as bad, nailing the price paid down then inflating the price to the pub.
    I'm surprised how many respected brewers are on the JDW national list. Most breweries don't want to know unless it's a local arrangement. Even old regionals are included, Batham's never have, Holden's don't seem to have bothered for a while, I'm sure Bateman's XXXB used to be a regular but isn't on the current list, Harvey's never have and I don't recall seeing Hall & Woodhouse for a while.
    I've checked the new national list and believe there are four new names on it, Brecon, Glamorgan Vale, Dukeries and Goddards. Let's hope it's not the kiss of death!!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Are they not brewing at the Wobbly brewery any more?
    They moved their brew kit to Wobbly but were evicted (presumably for not paying their dues) and now appear to be brewed at Rhymney. Also a new company started called Fabulous Beers but still have Brodies on the branding.

This Space For Hire

Wetherspoon didn't force them to sell their beer to them! The fact they had to is the point. From what I've heard from a local brewer Enterprise are just as bad, nailing the price paid down then inflating the price to the pub.
    I'm surprised how many respected brewers are on the JDW national list. Most breweries don't want to know unless it's a local arrangement. Even old regionals are included, Batham's never have, Holden's don't seem to have bothered for a while, I'm sure Bateman's XXXB used to be a regular but isn't on the current list, Harvey's never have and I don't recall seeing Hall & Woodhouse for a while.
    I've checked the new national list and believe there are four new names on it, Brecon, Glamorgan Vale, Dukeries and Goddards. Let's hope it's not the kiss of death!!
    You can make money selling to Wetherspoons but you need other outlets as well.As mentioned previously Fullers don't sell to Wetherspoons as they can get higher prices elsewhere but if needed to would sell and still make money.

Fullers don't sell to Wetherspoons as they can get higher prices elsewhere but if needed to would sell and still make money.
    I wish that was the case as the E4 one's idiot new manager has started stocking Pride on a regular basis. I used to go there a lot but don't any more.

This Space For Hire

I wish that was the case as the E4 one's idiot new manager has started stocking Pride on a regular basis. I used to go there a lot but don't any more.
    I should have said rarely rather than don't.Its usually higher priced than the bog standard ones at the same strength.