Ads not shown when logged in
Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    But would you seek out beers from those breweries now?
    Not particularily.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    That's a good point.Maybe it makes it more likely that Carlsberg will buy the 40% stake in Carsberg Marstons Brewing that they don't already own and which is currently owned by Marston's PLC.
    Wonder what would happen to Bassin this scenario, as I would doubt if ABInbev would want Carlsberg involved?
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Wonder what would happen to Bassin this scenario, as I would doubt if ABInbev would want Carlsberg involved?
    On past form they would move the brewing contract elsewhere, it would make very little difference to either a company that doesn’t understand the beer’s historical context or to a rather debased product.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I have enjoyed Marston's Old Empire IPA on handpump if well kept (Boat Inn,Stoke Bruerne in volume) and the revival of Owd Rodger is decent.Ringwood Fortyniner is sessionable.Very sad about the dumbing down at Jennings.

I wouldn't shed any tears if Carlsberg were to close the Eagle Brewery Bedford,most of their output over many years has been awful IMHO.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

As BF notes I'd be very happy to drink well kept Marstons Old Empire IPA and Ringwood Fortyniner but I've also thoroughly enjoyed Jennings Cockerhoop, usually far too much of it during tense footy matches.

Controversially, I quite enjoy Marstons version of Bass as well, as long as it's well kept, and find it improves over a session.

Quite a meagre return really over that number of breweries and that amount of production so the point is well made.

As for the Eagle Brewery, everything I've tried from there over many years has been at best rank and generally undrinkable so no tears shed if that one disappears.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Just heard that the Keighley based brewery Naylor's has ceased trading, as of today. Another victim of Covid, unfortunately. TBH they were never my favourite beers, but it's very sad to hear of another business folding.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Just heard that the Keighley based brewery Naylor's has ceased trading, as of today. Another victim of Covid, unfortunately. TBH they were never my favourite beers, but it's very sad to hear of another business folding.
    I've had mixed experiences with their beers, none really stood out, but as you say always sad to hear of a brewery disappearing.

West Berks

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...tion-3nz722mwj

Beer quality nosedived a few years ago after the sale of the brewery to David Bruce (remember him??) to the extent that Good Old Boy - a real favourite of mine 10 years ago - was no longer purchased by me, and stopped appearing on local handpumps. Another good brewery ruined...

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    West Berks

Beer quality nosedived a few years ago after the sale of the brewery to David Bruce (remember him??) to the extent that Good Old Boy - a real favourite of mine 10 years ago - was no longer purchased by me, and stopped appearing on local handpumps. Another good brewery ruined...
    Sad news about the brewery. Unfortunately that link is to an article behind a paywall.

I'm not often in Berkshire, but I do remember having drunk Good Old Boy and, as I thought, they had a rebadged version at the Bell at Aldworth when I was there in 2019. It had extra hops added especially, which in hindsight might suggest that they thought the non-tweaked version had gone downhill as you say.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    West Berks

Never was a fan of the brewery apart from Maggs Magnificent Mild , which was excellent.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields