Ads not shown when logged in
Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

Great Heck, along with their wholesale business went bust on Saturday.

This is a real bummer as I liked Denzil and I used them to supply The Pint Pot & Vicolo del Vino in Rochdale.

Today has been a frantic search to source some ales as the 6 that were due to be delivered today aren't going to arrive.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

This is a real bummer as I liked Denzil and I used them to supply The Pint Pot & Vicolo del Vino in Rochdale.

Today has been a frantic search to source some ales as the 6 that were due to be delivered today aren't going to arrive.
    Very bad and sad news, I think everybody liked mad Denzil and he made some fine beers.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Wow! Not very often I'm genuinely shocked in this thread, but that's really bad news. Loved Voodoo Mild, Amish Mash, Shankar IPA to name but a few. When Great Heck first had the Bull & Fairhouse as their brewery tap, Denzil could often be found at the end of the bar nursing a half of one of his own.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

That's very sad news.I really enjoyed their beers.It's a big loss and I'm shocked.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Don't know Denzil but didn't see this one coming.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

That's a genuine blow to cask beer drinkers. Hopefully the recipes can be sold on and re-appear in some other guise.

I'd be intrigued to know if one of the businesses dragged the other down or whether they were both trading at a loss.

Well, as others have said, really shocking news. I can't think of another current brewery whose demise would have hit me so hard. All of their beers were consistently excellent - even the occasional one that was not to my taste was still a pleasure to drink. Beers like Black Jesus and Dave are irreplaceable as far as I'm concerned. This was the brewery that I would always extol to friends who are dabbling in cask ale as one that you could always trust for a really good beer.

Bloody hell.
    Come On You Hatters!

For me this is a brewery that I know the name of, have tried a few times but don't really know much about them and don't have any recollection of the beers (I don't keep permanent notes or records!). I'll ask tomorrow if one of the local boozers has sold their beers.

This Space For Hire

Just come on here to post about Great Heck but the news has broken.There are many great brewers but you need to be a good businessman first and foremost.Its easier to brew than sell at a profit.

This Space For Hire

No doubt this thread will be busy later in the year.Not brewery but pub chain Food and Fuel a chain of gastro pubs about 11 in total in London have closed down
    Tried a few of the and the Grovenor in Hanwell I used a lot.Always had an Animal brewery beer.Stopped using them a few months ago as they charged me £5.60 for two halfs of beer that was £4.60 a pint.Wont miss this pub.