Ads not shown when logged in
Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

A, couple of small breweries currently biting the dust are Betteridges and New Wharf.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 29-07-2019 at 17:16.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    A, couple of small breweries currently biting the dust are Betteridges and New Wharf.
    I saw on twitter about New Wharf with a post from the very disgruntled brewer about the closure. A fellow scooper has posted today that New Wharf are advertising for a brewer so maybe not the end. They have won awards for their beer so must be decent.Only had one beer from them on keg.okay.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I saw on twitter about New Wharf with a post from the very disgruntled brewer about the closure. A fellow scooper has posted today that New Wharf are advertising for a brewer so maybe not the end. They have won awards for their beer so must be decent.Only had one beer from them on keg.okay.
    New Wharf are an odd one. They had a very poor start with the first batches hitting Reading not being good at all, should never have left the brewery gates. Things steadied a bit, but then the brewer's mate died, which knocked things again. Definitely have improved of late, the Tea With Erin has been on at the Alehouse in Reading a few times and I've rather enjoyed it. Listed as a seasonal but appears to be a regular.

The explosion of new breweries seems to have finally drawn to a close. The new GBG has more than a whole page of closures with only a third of a page of future breweries and a list of around a dozen up for sale. The better ones seem to be flourishing so the overall result is I'm sure beneficial. A brewpub might not need to sell all that much beer externally so I hope they will continue in their small niche. I wouldn't be surprised if next years results are similar.

I hear Hammerpot are closing, I never really took to their beers, the Bottle Wreck Porter aside.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I hear Hammerpot are closing, I never really took to their beers, the Bottle Wreck Porter aside.
    Only tried this brewery once,ten years ago, when I damned HPA with faint praise, calling it one dimensional.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I've heard that too. And yes, the Porter was the only one I ever felt compelled to re-purchase out of choice. The others were very workaday at best.

This Space For Hire

Hale brewery from London who were brewing in north London have stopped after only 2years.Shame good beers
    Hopcraft and the Hopbunker pub are rumoured to have closed as well.Always like the Hopcraft beers.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Hale brewery from London who were brewing in north London have stopped after only 2years.Shame good beers
    Hopcraft and the Hopbunker pub are rumoured to have closed as well.Always like the Hopcraft beers.
    Agree about Hopcraft,if I saw their beers in a handpump line up I would often order a pint.Shame.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Agree about Hopcraft,if I saw their beers in a handpump line up I would often order a pint.Shame.
    The brewer from Hopcraft is cuckoo brewing beers under the Team Toxic and Mission Creep name and also Waen so you might come across them.