Ads not shown when logged in
Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I make you right about closures. York beers used to appear in JDWs back in the day but don't any more.
    I saw a post on social media recently about a brewery in Wales throwing in the towel but I'd never heard of them and they weren't listed in the 2019 GBG.
    A bit off topic but do you know why the New River brewery seems to have gained a foothold in a very short time?
    I have tried 3 of the New River beers when the brewery started and didn't think much of them.I have seen them on quite a few twitter post from different pubs but they seem to be pubs that buy cheaper beers so I think they are competitive with their prices.Might be good beer now as breweries can change for the better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have tried 3 of the New River beers when the brewery started and didn't think much of them.I have seen them on quite a few twitter post from different pubs but they seem to be pubs that buy cheaper beers so I think they are competitive with their prices.Might be good beer now as breweries can change for the better or worse.
    I think I've only tried one which was OK. I suspect you're right and they are trying to fill the gap left by the demise of Cottage.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Might be good beer now as breweries can change for the better or worse.
    The Five Inch Drop is regularly on in my local and its usually OK. But then it doesn't have to come far down the A10.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Default York Brewery bought by Black Sheep

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

My immediate reaction was that it was a good thing, but then the questions started to formulate. Although the York brand will survive, will its full beer range? Will Centurion's Ghost (York) be allowed to continue against Riggwelter (Black Sheep)?
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 21-12-2018 at 16:18.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    My immediate reaction was that it was a good thing, but then the questions started to formulate. Although the York brand will survive, will its full beer range? Will Centurion's Ghost (York) be allowed to continue against Riggwelter (Black Sheep)?
    My thoughts exactly, the two breweries beers being so different where will this go? Maybe York brewey will continue separately with more Black Sheep beers in the four pubs. I think Masham is short on space so it could be (for now)

Good news at first glance, but Black Sheep is having a bit of a bumpy ride itself (Black Sheep Brewery hit back over claims by shareholder)?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Good news at first glance, but Black Sheep is having a bit of a bumpy ride itself (Black Sheep Brewery hit back over claims by shareholder)?
    I believe that guy is some sort of asset stripper, as the Northern Echo* suggests but doesn't make clear is that he couldn't be arsed to turn up to the AGM.

*what a crap website, far too much trying to cash in with ads etc, almost unreadable, bloody Johnson Press if I'm not mistaken.

Rammy Craft Ales have tweeted today they are knocking it on the head at the end of the month.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Rammy Craft Ales have tweeted today they are knocking it on the head at the end of the month.
    I came across one of theirs in Bury last year. The closed brewery section in the 2019 GBG is roughly 4 times the size of the future breweries section so one must assume that the bubble has largely burst. Quite familiar names from the closed list (to me at least) are Ballards, Moles, Cottage, Hardknott, Liverpool Organic, Ticketybrew,and Wooden Hand. If flogging casks to JDW is a sign that a brewery is struggling (and I'm not sue that it is) then Reunion, Enefield and Southwark are regulars in some local Spoons. The latest national list includes Enefield, Wooha and Brightside as newcomers (I think!)).
    Meanwhile some of the better established micros seem to turn up nationwide (Titanic, Oakham and Salopian).