Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 250

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

  1. #151
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I've heard that Rockin Robin Brewery of Boughton Monchelsea has ceased brewing. Didn't often come across their beer, but liked it when I did.
    I've seen lots of them in Kent JDWs. They were old school but somewhat better than that Nelson brewery in Chatham. Kent does seem to be rather crowded with some of the brewers seeming to be quite a lot better than others.

  2. #152
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,699

    Default Rockin Robin Brewery

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I've heard that Rockin Robin Brewery of Boughton Monchelsea has ceased brewing. Didn't often come across their beer, but liked it when I did.
    Seems unlikely to me, as they have only just taken over the Rockin Robin on the Green (formerly the Duke of Edinburgh) in Barming from Shepherd Neame and opened the Rockin Robin Smokery (formerly the Pride of Kent) in Staplehurst last week, in addition to their Beer Barn tap at Boughton Monchelsea.

  3. #153
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,699

    Default Fake News?

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Seems unlikely to me, as they have only just taken over the Rockin Robin on the Green (formerly the Duke of Edinburgh) in Barming from Shepherd Neame and opened the Rockin Robin Smokery (formerly the Pride of Kent) in Staplehurst last week, in addition to their Beer Barn tap at Boughton Monchelsea.
    And Rockin Robin's Jester Sauvin has just gone on at our village club...

  4. #154
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Seems unlikely to me, as they have only just taken over the Rockin Robin on the Green (formerly the Duke of Edinburgh) in Barming from Shepherd Neame and opened the Rockin Robin Smokery (formerly the Pride of Kent) in Staplehurst last week, in addition to their Beer Barn tap at Boughton Monchelsea.
    You are probably right, as I only gleaned this info from a fellow scribe on a beer/pub rating site,who gained it from the Guv of a pub over in East Kent.Glad something salubrious is happening in the Pride of Kent!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  5. #155
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,192
    There are many diseases,
    that strike people's kneeses,
    Covid19! is one by name
    It comes from the East
    Packed in bladders of yeast
    So the Chinese must take half the blame.

    Apologies to Spike Milligan

  6. #156
    Glass Half Empty Brainypool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Mitchells have been winding down and selling off their estate for a long time so no great surprise, but sad news all the same. Some very good pubs up for sale there now too.

  7. #157
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    I had no idea that the old independent Mitchells of Lancaster had any connection wit the York brewery. There seems to be a pattern developing here in that newer breweries from the late eighties or nineties that expanded to provide a market with little choice now seem to be going under.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 16-12-2018 at 10:17.

  8. #158
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I had no idea that the old independent Mitchells of Lancaster had any connection wit the York brewery. There seems to be a pattern developing here in that newer breweries from the late eighties or nineties that expanded to provide a market with little choice now seem to be going under.
    The beer world is moving at a fast pace.The older breweries cant keep pace.Ten years ago I often saw York beer around London but not seen any for a long time.I probably say this every year but I think the brewery closures are going to escalate next year.We will see.

  9. #159
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    One of my local breweries Weird Beard has advertised for a partner to bail the brewery out.Seems like they have been struggling for a while.They have a big reputation amongst the craft beer geeks but I mentioned only about a month ago to a pub that always stocks their beer that I rarely saw their beer on my London travels.Interesting post on their blog about it.

  10. #160
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The beer world is moving at a fast pace.The older breweries cant keep pace.Ten years ago I often saw York beer around London but not seen any for a long time.I probably say this every year but I think the brewery closures are going to escalate next year.We will see.
    I make you right about closures. York beers used to appear in JDWs back in the day but don't any more.
    I saw a post on social media recently about a brewery in Wales throwing in the towel but I'd never heard of them and they weren't listed in the 2019 GBG.
    A bit off topic but do you know why the New River brewery seems to have gained a foothold in a very short time?

Similar Threads

  1. New Breweries
    By RogerB in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 371
    Last Post: 15-12-2016, 20:28
  2. Old Breweries
    By hondo in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-02-2014, 06:41
  3. London Breweries
    By Aqualung in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 19-08-2013, 17:36
  4. a swift one - Two New Breweries
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-12-2011, 06:27
  5. Disappearing Winter Ales
    By Thuck Phat in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 29-01-2011, 22:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •