Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I've heard that Rockin Robin Brewery of Boughton Monchelsea has ceased brewing. Didn't often come across their beer, but liked it when I did.
    I've seen lots of them in Kent JDWs. They were old school but somewhat better than that Nelson brewery in Chatham. Kent does seem to be rather crowded with some of the brewers seeming to be quite a lot better than others.

Default Rockin Robin Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I've heard that Rockin Robin Brewery of Boughton Monchelsea has ceased brewing. Didn't often come across their beer, but liked it when I did.
    Seems unlikely to me, as they have only just taken over the Rockin Robin on the Green (formerly the Duke of Edinburgh) in Barming from Shepherd Neame and opened the Rockin Robin Smokery (formerly the Pride of Kent) in Staplehurst last week, in addition to their Beer Barn tap at Boughton Monchelsea.

Default Fake News?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Seems unlikely to me, as they have only just taken over the Rockin Robin on the Green (formerly the Duke of Edinburgh) in Barming from Shepherd Neame and opened the Rockin Robin Smokery (formerly the Pride of Kent) in Staplehurst last week, in addition to their Beer Barn tap at Boughton Monchelsea.
    And Rockin Robin's Jester Sauvin has just gone on at our village club...

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    You are probably right, as I only gleaned this info from a fellow scribe on a beer/pub rating site,who gained it from the Guv of a pub over in East Kent.Glad something salubrious is happening in the Pride of Kent!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Mitchells have been winding down and selling off their estate for a long time so no great surprise, but sad news all the same. Some very good pubs up for sale there now too.

I had no idea that the old independent Mitchells of Lancaster had any connection wit the York brewery. There seems to be a pattern developing here in that newer breweries from the late eighties or nineties that expanded to provide a market with little choice now seem to be going under.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 16-12-2018 at 10:17.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I had no idea that the old independent Mitchells of Lancaster had any connection wit the York brewery. There seems to be a pattern developing here in that newer breweries from the late eighties or nineties that expanded to provide a market with little choice now seem to be going under.
    The beer world is moving at a fast pace.The older breweries cant keep pace.Ten years ago I often saw York beer around London but not seen any for a long time.I probably say this every year but I think the brewery closures are going to escalate next year.We will see.

This Space For Hire

One of my local breweries Weird Beard has advertised for a partner to bail the brewery out.Seems like they have been struggling for a while.They have a big reputation amongst the craft beer geeks but I mentioned only about a month ago to a pub that always stocks their beer that I rarely saw their beer on my London travels.Interesting post on their blog about it.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The beer world is moving at a fast pace.The older breweries cant keep pace.Ten years ago I often saw York beer around London but not seen any for a long time.I probably say this every year but I think the brewery closures are going to escalate next year.We will see.
    I make you right about closures. York beers used to appear in JDWs back in the day but don't any more.
    I saw a post on social media recently about a brewery in Wales throwing in the towel but I'd never heard of them and they weren't listed in the 2019 GBG.
    A bit off topic but do you know why the New River brewery seems to have gained a foothold in a very short time?