Ads not shown when logged in
Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

" another opportunity to work on the premiumisation of its portfolio"
    https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/20...stuff-buy-out/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    It's a brilliant new business model. Crowdfund regularly from the internet, spunk it up the wall, go into Administration, sell your brand name to Molson Coors.

I sincerely hope that the creditors are paid every last penny that is wrung out of the process but as any regular reader of Private Eye will know, those at the helm of failed businesses often seem to have a few quid in their back pocket afterwards, somehow.
    People seem to crowd fund for all sorts these days. Easy way to make money if you have a dedicated following I guess, without having to dream up a decent business plan that a bank would likely require when granting a business loan. It's easy to see how the sheep are drawn into contributing to crowd funding schemes for their favourite breweries as they feel a sense of local connection and almost regard them as "mates" rather than businesses. I tend to take a more cynical view and the idea of putting money into a business, even if it is a business I like, with no real protection in return just does not appeal to me. Not that I have buckets full of spare cash to throw around anyway.

It's the personal sob story crowd funding you see that annoys me too (wandering off topic slightly) and they are almost becoming a replacement for having a decent insurance policy in place.

Just Missed the Round

South-London-based Hop Stuff, which was founded by Yeomans in 2013, raised funds through Crowdcube three times during its time as an independent business, securing £1.5 million from around 1,300 investors. The company’s investors will receive nothing from the sale.

In a letter to shareholders, Yeomans wrote that he was “absolutely gutted” over the company’s collapse.
    “I am so sorry,” he said.

“I wanted so much to turn the passion you have for Hop Stuff Brewery into a financial win for you and I am absolutely gutted it hasn’t happened.”
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have mentioned on here before about Hopstuff.When they had the last crowdfunding £800,000 they were valued at £10 million.Thats a lot of money for a brewery I rarely see on my jaunts around London.I think Aualung thought similar.We should see them more often as Molson Coors have a big contract with Wetherspoons.
    This whole thing stinks. Hop stuff have appeared in London JDWs but only as a Locale beer or for the January London festival. I was going to visit their Woolwich tap next month but now won't bother. I'm not aware of Mouldy Corpse supplying JDW cask beers apart from the obvious one.

I know that Wild Card have used crowd funding at least twice.

Nobody seems to have come up with a question as to whether Crate have problems. They started out as a Pizza and beer place in Hackney Wick long before other pubs, breweries and bars moved in. Surely the fact that Tesco are selling their cans at 50p must raise questions?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Nobody seems to have come up with a question as to whether Crate have problems. They started out as a Pizza and beer place in Hackney Wick long before other pubs, breweries and bars moved in. Surely the fact that Tesco are selling their cans at 50p must raise questions?
    Only some of the Tesco shops have reduced them.Dullish beer and branding so maybe the public don't like them and Tesco put you on their list but on the understanding that if they cant sell a certain amount you are dropped.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Crate have a very expensive and busy brewery tap in Hackney.Last year they sold a million pints and 120,000 pizzas.Just crowd funded recently and got £962,480 from the public.Turnover 2018 £4million,gross profit 68% but worryingly I think only £88,000 profit before tax.They reckon that the company is worth £12 million..We shall see.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

the owners of the Martland Mill brewery in Wigan have put the business up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    the owners of the Martland Mill brewery in Wigan have put the business up for sale.
    That report dates from March, but the Tap'n'Barrel still seemed to be the brewery tap when I was there a few weeks ago.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    That report dates from March, but the Tap'n'Barrel still seemed to be the brewery tap when I was there a few weeks ago.
    As far as I know, they are running it as their tap until the brewery is sold, when it will become a free house.