Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've not been enthused by anything I've tried.
    Seconded.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Re Little Brew: It seems odd that a 10 barrel brewer should offer to go on their national list.
    Re Wibblers: I've seen their beers in Essex and agree they seem to be Okay. Apparently they have an agreement to supply beers to Grays, a pub chain that was once a brewer in Essex.
    Re Nelson: It seems odd that I've never seen Nelson anywhere other than the JDW George in Wanstead. Kent JDWs seem to got for Old Dairy, Wantsum or Kent. I don't recall seeing them in any of a fair few micropubs in Kent.
    Re JDW Oct Festival: I've seen the list and it's just thirty beers again as opposed to the fifty of old. I'm more enthused about the local Rose and Crown festival a few days later but will be looking out for the Adnam's Tally Ho and a few others from the JDW fest. One of the problems with JDW festivals is that you tend to find the same old things in most outlets, usually the "International" ones and anything else from the major regionals. It's interesting that Bateman's no longer supply JDW on a national basis.
    Batemans downsized their brewery in 2015. They were brewing 19000 barrels a year and now only brew 7000.They did it so they can get the small brewers tax relief.I have read that after you go above 8000 barrels you loose the relief and that you need to produce 22000 barrels to get the economies of scale.So I think this is why a few breweries have tried crowdfunding as you need to make a big jump in the amount of beer you brew and sell once you reach the threshold. Don't miss any of the beers Batemans brewed for the festival at Mcspoons

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Batemans downsized their brewery in 2015. They were brewing 19000 barrels a year and now only brew 7000.They did it so they can get the small brewers tax relief.I have read that after you go above 8000 barrels you loose the relief and that you need to produce 22000 barrels to get the economies of scale.So I think this is why a few breweries have tried crowdfunding as you need to make a big jump in the amount of beer you brew and sell once you reach the threshold. Don't miss any of the beers Batemans brewed for the festival at Mcspoons
    I believe if you brew less than 5000 hectolitres then you get the full 50% discount on duty. I bet they won't be passing on any savings to their tied pubs! I assume they've stopped producing bottled beers for the supermarkets as well. I only remember seeing them in Morrisons and I haven't been in one for ages. My biggest gripe with Batemans was the fact they watered down the XXXB from 4.9% to 4.5%. If JDW don't have Rosy Nosey at Xmas with those annoying flashing red LED lights on the pump clip then that will be a huge relief.
    I assume this is why Wells sold out to Marstons. If they come up with something decent from their new smaller brewery for their tied houses then that shouldl be good. The boring Bombardier was introduced as a replacement for Wells Fargo which was an imitation of Ruddles County before they sold out. I liked it at the time and much preferred it to Abbot. 5% ABV beers were a rarity in those days!

This Space For Hire

I believe if you brew less than 5000 hectolitres then you get the full 50% discount on duty. I bet they won't be passing on any savings to their tied pubs! I assume they've stopped producing bottled beers for the supermarkets as well. I only remember seeing them in Morrisons and I haven't been in one for ages. My biggest gripe with Batemans was the fact they watered down the XXXB from 4.9% to 4.5%. If JDW don't have Rosy Nosey at Xmas with those annoying flashing red LED lights on the pump clip then that will be a huge relief.
    I assume this is why Wells sold out to Marstons. If they come up with something decent from their new smaller brewery for their tied houses then that shouldl be good. The boring Bombardier was introduced as a replacement for Wells Fargo which was an imitation of Ruddles County before they sold out. I liked it at the time and much preferred it to Abbot. 5% ABV beers were a rarity in those days!
    Abbott was a great beer in its day.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Nelson Brewery was established in 1995 as Flagship Brewery and renamed in 2003. However, despite being well established, their beers are still a bit hit-or-miss in my experience.
    Rarely seen by me, and not really enthused.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Ballards brewery who would be familiar to southern drinkers has ceased brewing.Regularly seen around west London but not recently.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Ballards brewery who would be familiar to southern drinkers has ceased brewing.Regularly seen around west London but not recently.
    They go back even longer than I thought 1980 according to the GBG. Their Wassail was one of the original new stronger ales. I wonder if it's the owners retiring or trading conditions. It might even be a combination of the two.

According to their Facebook page ,the brewery is on the market due to impending retirement.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

They go back even longer than I thought 1980 according to the GBG. Their Wassail was one of the original new stronger ales. I wonder if it's the owners retiring or trading conditions. It might even be a combination of the two.
    At risk of being ungallant, retirement could well be an option,speaking as someone contemplating it. I had a good chat with the owner at a plant fair a couple of years back.I don't often come across their beer, but like it when I do.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

It's hardly surprising as even if they were in their early twenties (pretty unlikely) when they started they wouldn't be far from retirement age. What took me aback was the length of time they've been going. I can't remember when I last saw one of their old school beers.