Ads not shown when logged in
Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappearing and 'in peril' breweries

This Space For Hire

Looks like we have seen the last of Summer Wine as they announced today they have closed the brewery and bar they ran.Good brewer.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"Mad Dog Brewing Co. in Penperlleni released a statement on social media on Monday announcing trading had ceased from "
    https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...op-final-time/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Have heard on the grapevine that Fisher's Brewery in High Wycombe is set to close, with a "drink the brewery dry" event to be held this Saturday. Shame, as I was quite partial to their APA.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

This Space For Hire

As well as those two brewers here are more I have heard about this week
    Gun Dog -Wiltshire
    Four Thieves brewpub - Battersea
    Flying Monk -Hampshire
    Brew Buddies - relocating to France

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "Mad Dog Brewing Co. in Penperlleni released a statement on social media on Monday announcing trading had ceased from "
    https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...op-final-time/
    I've come across Mad Dog a few times but have no memories of outstanding beer. Breweries in Wales seem to be collapsing and I can see more going. The trouble is that there isn't much free trade and much of it is seasonal. I also get the impression that most Welsh beer drinkers tend to go for the old school stuff. In the South Tiny Rebel seem to have cracked it with mostly crafty stuff. In the North Purple Moose, Conwy & Snowdon Craft (aka Great Orme) seem to be doing OK but what about Nant especially with the on-going Conwy valley flooding? Nant are the other member of the Gang of Four that revitalised the Conwy Albion

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've come across Mad Dog a few times but have no memories of outstanding beer. Breweries in Wales seem to be collapsing and I can see more going. The trouble is that there isn't much free trade and much of it is seasonal. I also get the impression that most Welsh beer drinkers tend to go for the old school stuff. In the South Tiny Rebel seem to have cracked it with mostly crafty stuff. In the North Purple Moose, Conwy & Snowdon Craft (aka Great Orme) seem to be doing OK but what about Nant especially with the on-going Conwy valley flooding? Nant are the other member of the Gang of Four that revitalised the Conwy Albion
    as a beer ticker I have notice the dramatic decline of beer from new breweries in the last 2 years in London.Pubs are sticking to tried and trusted brewers. Tiny Rebel have cracked the market definitely but they are churning out masses of different beers recent.I commented on another site on Wed that they are very hit and miss nowadays imo.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    as a beer ticker I have notice the dramatic decline of beer from new breweries in the last 2 years in London.Pubs are sticking to tried and trusted brewers. Tiny Rebel have cracked the market definitely but they are churning out masses of different beers recent.I commented on another site on Wed that they are very hit and miss nowadays imo.
    The last Tiny Rebel beer I had was called Cask IPA and I thought it was dross. When I had Cwtch last in one of their bars it didn't have the impact it had when I first discovered it.
    I remember when I first tried ELB Pale in their first weeks. The acceptable low abv beer today bears little resemblance to that early effort. New brewers are only going to get recognition with great cask beers that are also not a pain in the proverbial for the pub, ie unfined. That line about not drinking with your eyes is what unscrupulous Big Six landlords used to come out with when trying to shift rank beer.
    Another aspect is that all the new breweries seem to have their own taps but whether they can survive on that is another matter.

This Space For Hire

Yeah the first thing a brewery needs now is a taproom to survive but a lot of the taprooms are soulless drinking places.One opened near me two months ago and I got a guided tour before they opened.The tap room is just a long room above the brewery with no natural light,,little decoration and no outside space sited next to scruffy car repair garages.Still haven't been to review it.Cant be bothered with its limited hours opening.The days when I was excited about a new taproom opening have gone.Give me a real pub everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Yeah the first thing a brewery needs now is a taproom to survive but a lot of the taprooms are soulless drinking places.One opened near me two months ago and I got a guided tour before they opened.The tap room is just a long room above the brewery with no natural light,,little decoration and no outside space sited next to scruffy car repair garages.Still haven't been to review it.Cant be bothered with its limited hours opening.The days when I was excited about a new taproom opening have gone.Give me a real pub everytime.
    My favourite Tap is the Ludlow one as it's a purpose built space within the Goods Shed that houses the brewery. They are a decet but not great old school brewer. I'm more than happy to spend an afternoon in it.