Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 16 May 2010)

A quiet week to say the least - 3 Sheps beers tonight at the Royal Oak, Dartford watching the end of the 20/20 folllowed by a 9% Hogs Back A Over T at the Wat Tyler. The big shock was finding St Austell Tinners alongside Doom Bar at my Sunday Quiz local - never seen Tinners outside of Cornwall. The BotW this week is probably the worst of choices I have ever had but it does at least give me a chance to acknowledge Sharps Doom Bar as one of the best beers going!

The best beer of quite a few this weekend was Northern Brewery's Deep Dark Secret.

In complete contrast to the very light and hoppy Mallinsons Danger! Hops.

But I think that the Mallinsons just edges it for me this week. Another great beer Tara (Mallinson), keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 17-05-2010 at 11:15.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

There was a fine selection of milds on at the Cricketers this week and having popped in to see them being awarded the Croydon CAMRA Pub of the Year on Thursday, I managed to try pretty much all of them.

Rudgate Ruby Mild and Pictish Black Diamond were both very good but my BOTW goes to Moorhouse's Black Cat, which was the pick of the bunch. I also had a lovely pint of Black Hole Brewery's Red Dwarf, which would have come out top most weeks.

An almighty beer fuelled week for HTM69. Spread over a 4-day period

Shepherd Neame Late Red x 4
    Guinness x 4
    London Pride x 3
    Hogs Back HBB X 2
    Becks (Bottle) x 3
    Tiger (Bottle) x 1
    Vodka & Coke (Double Measure) x 1
    Brains Dark x 1
    Courage Best x 1
    St Austell's Tinners x 1
    Sharps Doom Bar x 3 1/2

BOTW: Hogs Back HBB

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Found one of my favourite beers last week, Jennings Snecklifter and that's my BotW.

Front runner w/e 23rd is Jaipur IPA - which explains why I'm going to be late for work this morning
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A disappointing week, beer wise. A 36 hour flying visit to London saw me have four very average beers in three different pubs. Unbelievably, one of the the worst was in the Market Porter, Borough- a pub I'd been looking forward to visiting for ages. I think I must have been very unlucky with the choice (Springhead 'Charlie's Angel') but what was concerning was the temperature it was served at i.e. very cold.
    After the four hour drive home, the pint of Leeds Brewery 'Pale' in my village local knocked spots off the rest and is my BOTW.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 18-05-2010 at 16:53.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Spritzer Swallower Hostelry Host's Avatar

Beer of the week for me was Triple fff Alton's Pale Ale. Lovely hop character and we sold the cask in under two days.

Real Ale Drinker

My beer of the week was Elgood's Black Dog Mild. Really tasty and strangely refreshing for a mild. Only quibble was it cost £3 a pint. Outrageous for a 3.6% beer. Sorry, getting a bit grumpy about prices at the moment. £3.90 for a pint of Jaipur IPA on the same day didn't help (although it also was really nice).

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhunter View Post
    Sorry, getting a bit grumpy about prices at the moment. £3.90 for a pint of Jaipur IPA on the same day didn't help (although it also was really nice).
    Wow, where have you been drinking mate, I'm sure it was only £3.15 in the White Hart last night. Today the Bree Louise was taking the proverbial by charging £3.70 for the Brewdog Punk IPA (but again it was excellent). With the CAMRA discount (I've got my card now) it bought it down to £3.20 whch makes you wonder whether or not it's a real discount.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Wow, where have you been drinking mate, I'm sure it was only £3.15 in the White Hart last night. Today the Bree Louise was taking the proverbial by charging £3.70 for the Brewdog Punk IPA (but again it was excellent). With the CAMRA discount (I've got my card now) it bought it down to £3.20 whch makes you wonder whether or not it's a real discount.
    Brewdog beers are always going to be a bit more expensive simply because most of them are way above average strength ( I note your Punk IPA is a 6%'er). On my recent Bree Louise trip I thought the prices were pretty reasonable after the CAMRA discount. As for Grailhunter - you were well and truly fleeced!