Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer and football - a match made in heaven.

Default Beer and football - a match made in heaven.

With the season fast approaching and the fixtures out it is time to pick out some away trips.

I know I am not the only one whose life revolves around the match most Saturdays so what games / towns are you most looking forward to next season ?

As you all know the mighty Villa are heading into a whole new world so I am looking forward to a few new trips.

I am looking to do Brighton, Bristol City and Preston - all new grounds to me. I am a bit gutted that Brentford away is a midweek game, as is Huddersfield ( although I may do an overnighter for that one )

Cheers,

Del.

I am a salmon !!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Was looking forward to Charlton away , but its on a tuesday night so a no-no , but for a change we have got Sheffield UTD on a Saturday thats one to look forward to
    Probaly going to do MK franchise as its a cheap train trip , Rochdale on New Years Eve is a possible .

Fancy doing Bradford , Wimbledon and Bristol Rovers , Oxford last day of the season looks like a weekender .

The week of my Birthday is Millwall away but the wife does not fancy a romantic weekend in Bermondsey
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    With the season fast approaching and the fixtures out it is time to pick out some away trips.

I know I am not the only one whose life revolves around the match most Saturdays so what games / towns are you most looking forward to next season ?

As you all know the mighty Villa are heading into a whole new world so I am looking forward to a few new trips.

I am looking to do Brighton, Bristol City and Preston - all new grounds to me. I am a bit gutted that Brentford away is a midweek game, as is Huddersfield ( although I may do an overnighter for that one )

Cheers,

Del.
    You won't be surprised to learn that I use fixture lists to work out when it is safe to go to places on a Saturday, notably Wolverhampton. You'll need shed loads of dosh for Brighton, Bristol is a BIG city and I only went to five Spoons but the best was easily the Commercial Rooms. Traffic gridlock in the centre of Bristol seems to be a problem if you're going by bus. I liked Preston with two good Spoons and my favourite the Ale Emporium up by he University. I would definitely recommend a weekend in Huddersfield. I went there for the day and got completely plastered with some ease. However, the Lord Wilson Lloyds is currently my worst pub of 2016.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 28-06-2016 at 22:45.

Somehow, three of the five Championship teams I have yet to visit managed to get promoted, so I'm looking forward to trips to Burnley, Hull and Middlesbrough (as implausible as that might sound!). The last two are potential overnighters and I'm also considering overnighting in Stoke, as the good pubs seem plentiful and quite spread out.

Other priorities will be Liverpool, Everton and Man Utd, all of which I missed this season, plus West Ham's first match at the Olympic Stadium although there's not much around there on the pub front that will be new to me. Last season was very expensive, so I'll probably end up doing fewer games in the capital but I still hope to make the derby match against Southampton and maybe a wildcard to somewhere like Sunderland or Swansea, both of which were big successes pub-wise last season.

Bit sad to have lost Villa and Newcastle and Norwich - all excellent places for good beer/pubs. With Wigan and Burton joining them in the Championship, there are plenty of good crawls to look forward to in that division - you'll have forgotten about the over-rated Premier League in no time Del.

Whatever the season holds, I'm just looking forward to watching some good football again after Monday night's dismal showing! Up the Cherries!

This Space For Hire

For Bristol just hit the

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/bedminster/bristol/
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/southville/bristol/
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/areas/ashton/bristol/

button to conclude a journey from Temple Meads to Ashton Gate on foot.

The closest ones to the ground are home supporters only but I've never had an issue getting in them on Blues matches but then I do have a Bristol address over a B'ham one so can fool a bouncer/bar staff despite still retaining a Midlands twang if questioned... Although TBH the better beer/ale pubs are the ones footie fans are less likely to frequent other than the JDW if you review the reviews especially after Alan Winfield's ones after I did the 23 with him it will assist with candidates for a crawl/return home via Temple Meads.

Oh welcome to your new home as I can't see you leaving this league for a couple of years.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 29-06-2016 at 01:38.

sporting trips booked for October

horse racing - Ascot x 3, Newmarket x 1

NFL - Wembley x 2, Twickenham x 1
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    You're drawn away to the Hatters in the League Cup - 10th August - but it's on Sky, if you don't fancy a midweek trip to Luton.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    You won't be surprised to learn that I use fixture lists to work out when it is safe to go to places on a Saturday, notably Wolverhampton. You'll need shed loads of dosh for Brighton, Bristol is a BIG city and I only went to five Spoons but the best was easily the Commercial Rooms. Traffic gridlock in the centre of Bristol seems to be a problem if you're going by bus. I liked Preston with two good Spoons and my favourite the Ale Emporium up by he University. I would definitely recommend a weekend in Huddersfield. I went there for the day and got completely plastered with some ease. However, the Lord Wilson Lloyds is currently my worst pub of 2016.
    I spent a couple of hours in Bristol last year. I only went in 2 of the spoons - The Knights Templar and the Commercial rooms - I would like to do the others.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Somehow, three of the five Championship teams I have yet to visit managed to get promoted, so I'm looking forward to trips to Burnley, Hull and Middlesbrough (as implausible as that might sound!). The last two are potential overnighters and I'm also considering overnighting in Stoke, as the good pubs seem plentiful and quite spread out.

Other priorities will be Liverpool, Everton and Man Utd, all of which I missed this season, plus West Ham's first match at the Olympic Stadium although there's not much around there on the pub front that will be new to me. Last season was very expensive, so I'll probably end up doing fewer games in the capital but I still hope to make the derby match against Southampton and maybe a wildcard to somewhere like Sunderland or Swansea, both of which were big successes pub-wise last season.

Bit sad to have lost Villa and Newcastle and Norwich - all excellent places for good beer/pubs. With Wigan and Burton joining them in the Championship, there are plenty of good crawls to look forward to in that division - you'll have forgotten about the over-rated Premier League in no time Del.

Whatever the season holds, I'm just looking forward to watching some good football again after Monday night's dismal showing! Up the Cherries!
    I went to Burnley last time they were in the Prem. Had a really good day there. I did an overnighter for Hull and I have done a couple of weekenders in Middlesbrough - I am sure you will enjoy all three of them !!

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Oh welcome to your new home as I can't see you leaving this league for a couple of years.
    We will see ......

At least you don't think we will go down again.

I am a salmon !!