Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extra Cold

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    I'm sure I am well off the mark here, but could the recent(ish) surgence of 'extra cold' lagers be a ploy by the big beer companies to keep customers away from real ale? Strongers is very correct in his point regarding the 'masking' of the taste: they indeed do. As a result, customers will be less aware of the nasty taste of the Carling, Fosters, Carlsberg, etc.

Are there any real benefits of 'extra cold' beers from the pubs viewpoint? Are they easier to keep?
    Isn't it just the setup of the cooling machine? As for Guinness if I rember rightly the only difference is that the extra cold does a second loop round the chiller, it all comes out of the same barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Isn't it just the setup of the cooling machine? As for Guinness if I rember rightly the only difference is that the extra cold does a second loop round the chiller, it all comes out of the same barrel.
    There's two options - we sell Carlsberg extra cold nowadays. Option one - in the cellar is a chiller that is basically an ice box with copper coils through it. Through each copper coil passes a different 'keg product' - be it lager, guinness, cider etc. To get extra cold you take the 'out' from the coil and plug it into the 'in' part of another coil - so the product goes through twice as NickD points out above.

The other option is a flash cooler - another chiller under the bar. The lager (for sake of argument) passes through the chiller in the cellar once, and then through the flash cooler. The idea behind this is that the flash cooler chills the lager in the ice bank, but the insulates the line all the way to the tap - so any lager sitting in the line can't warm up, whereas in theory lager in the line using the double dip method (option 1) can warm up to 'normal' lager temp.

It is worth noting that some ales now have a cooling system that chills it to the point of dispense. For example, my ales are cellar chilled to 11C, and the lines are just over 1 pint long - just over a half of this length of line is in the cellar. So in theory half a pint could warm up to room temperature before being served. In places, normally with 3-4 pint lines, the lines are wrapped around a water line, and the entire lot insulated. The water passes through the line at 11C, and so keeps the ale in the lines wrapped around it chilled to cellar temp.

Hope that wasn't too boring for you!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    While on the subject of temperature and lager (substitute hell), I may as well take the opportunity to attach this tenuous link. Stick with it...

http://ctweblogs.wordpress.com/2007/...r-endothermic/
    I hadn't read that version of it before, still a classic though.

I have a friend who always orders the extra cold Guinness where it is an option as he swears it pours faster.

As to the original question there are many factors to be taken into account, the alcohol by volume as Ethanol has a far lower heat capacity than the water that makes up the bulk of the drink, temperature of glass and surrounding atmosphere should also be taken into account along with the owners desperation for a drink. All in all the answer is largely pointless I feel but certainly worthy of a practical and regular reassessment.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I don't often go thru the blog segment, but came across this...

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...beer#post12758

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I really want to make a tongue in cheek racist remark about foreigners ruining our country, sadly I am concerned I may accidentally be taken seriously.

I'm thinking it really hard though!