Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore App and old reviews

Default Pubs Galore App and old reviews

I quite often glance at the Pubs Galore App and have noticed there is no method of suppressing old reviews. I was wondering if it might be possible to add a feature to the main Pubs Galore site, that enables contributors to suppress their own, no longer relevant reviews. We already have this facility for photographs, why not with reviews?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I quite often glance at the Pubs Galore App and have noticed there is no method of suppressing old reviews. I was wondering if it might be possible to add a feature to the main Pubs Galore site, that enables contributors to suppress their own, no longer relevant reviews. We already have this facility for photographs, why not with reviews?
    You can delete your reviews - or do you mean something else?

I'm not familiar with the app. On the main site, old reviews become greyed out when more than a year old. Older reviews disappear from the front page when there are too many to display. What bothers me is when reviewers revisit their old reviews and add something to them, bringing them back up to the top of the page. This makes it hard (if not impossible) to recreate the sequence in which their reviews and those of others were written.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm not familiar with the app. On the main site, old reviews become greyed out when more than a year old. Older reviews disappear from the front page when there are too many to display. What bothers me is when reviewers revisit their old reviews and add something to them, bringing them back up to the top of the page. This makes it hard (if not impossible) to recreate the sequence in which their reviews and those of others were written.
    Does this mean if you revisit a pub many times after your first review you have to do a separate review to the first review,i have been taking notes of beers of some of the Nottingham pubs i have visited quite a few times but my review probably dates back to 2010,i was thinking of editing my review with updated beers is this a right or wrong thing to do.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    You can delete your reviews - or do you mean something else?
    I'm sorry that it has taken me so long to reply to your response, I don't have constant access to the internet.
    I'll try to give you all an example of what I mean. If an old review of a pub contains outdated information, but contains interesting historical information, then the review should remain on the pub page. What I am saying is, that it would be useful to have the option of suppressing an old review from appearing on the area of the page, for example The Merry Fellow in Charlton Kings Cheltenham. This contains a review dating back to 2011, the pub has changed hands quite a few times and has been refurbished twice since the review. Yet because there is no way of suppressing it (other than deleting it, which I don't want to do - it is an historical account of the pub), it appears on the Pubs Galore App. I'm sure there are many other examples like this. Contributors have the option of suppressing their own out dated photos, why not out dated reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Does this mean if you revisit a pub many times after your first review you have to do a separate review to the first review,i have been taking notes of beers of some of the Nottingham pubs i have visited quite a few times but my review probably dates back to 2010,i was thinking of editing my review with updated beers is this a right or wrong thing to do.
    I think there was a discussion about this a few years back. My personal view is that a new review is better. Some regular and respected reviewers (Quinno and ROBCamra spring to mind) add to their own previous reviews. There is no right or wrong way - the way the review boxes are set up, you can edit your own reviews at any time. Whether this is a good idea or not is a matter of opinion. If it was down to me, I would allow editing for a short period, say 24 hours, to correct typos and glitches.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    What I am saying is, that it would be useful to have the option of suppressing an old review from appearing on the area of the page, for example The Merry Fellow in Charlton Kings Cheltenham. This contains a review dating back to 2011, the pub has changed hands quite a few times and has been refurbished twice since the review. Yet because there is no way of suppressing it (other than deleting it, which I don't want to do - it is an historical account of the pub), it appears on the Pubs Galore App. I'm sure there are many other examples like this. Contributors have the option of suppressing their own out dated photos, why not out dated reviews?
    I see what you mean. But surely the solution is to write a new review? That will let users of the site know what you know about the changes of ownership and the refurbs. No doubt Dave could introduce an option to relegate an old and no longer relevant review to an archive, but I imagine it would not have a very high priority on his to-do list.
    Come On You Hatters!

An example of what I mention above, about amending reviews: The Woolpack Inn. The reviewer, Manky Badger, has amended his review of 5 May 2007 because of changes in ownership resulting in poor service and being ripped off. To my way of thinking, that should be two separate reviews, especially as another reviewer had posted their opinion in between.
    Come On You Hatters!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I see what you mean. But surely the solution is to write a new review? That will let users of the site know what you know about the changes of ownership and the refurbs. No doubt Dave could introduce an option to relegate an old and no longer relevant review to an archive, but I imagine it would not have a very high priority on his to-do list.
    I'm with SH on this, personally I write a new review, even if it is no changes from a couple of years back, I do not go into the layout etc again, just "revisit much as before" type of entry
    I drink to make others more interesting

I'm with SH on this one as well. I used to amend old reviews including dates for the various "bits" of the review, but in recent years I've gone for adding new reviews - my local, the Earl Beatty, is a good example. I haven't felt a need to suppress old ones so I've not missed having this facility. I rather like the idea of having a record of a pub's iterations over the years. The only time I amend a review is to correct errors, and only then if it's only up to a day or two after posting the review. But that's just my way of doing things, and I certainly don't criticise anyone else if they choose to do things a bit differently.