Visit the Boak and Bailey's Beer Blog site

Strange coincidences and connections have led us to a collection of family photos of one of our favourite local pubs.

A brewer we interviewed last week (Paddy at Crossed Anchors) noticed that we had a picture of the fabulously Art Deco*Yacht Inn, Penzance, as our Twitter header image. He mentioned that his great aunt and uncle, Frank and Phyllis Glasspool, ran it from 1949-c.1959. He emailed his dad, who emailed a cousin, Sue Botaro Glasspool,*who provided the following fantastic collection of photographs and said we could share them here:
It was very hard work there, especially for my mother, who did all the cooking (plus the extras for the bar, pasties, sandwiches etc.), a lot of the cleaning, and then ran the cocktail bar in the evenings. Hard to have any family life. Thank goodness for the swimming pool over the road — 10 bob for a season ticket and I spent all my summers there!
The sign of the Yacht Inn with Mount’s Bay and Newlyn in the background.Frank Glasspool (left) and ‘Lennie’ (white coat) behind the main bar of the Yacht.Frank Glasspool behind the bar at the Yacht.The main bar at the Yacht with Frank Glasspool behind the counter.“Mum, Dad, Scott & Pam”.Frank Glasspool tends the cocktail bar at the Yacht Inn.Frank and Phyllis Glasspool outside the Yacht.All pictures*copyright*© Sue Botaro Glasspool and not to be reproduced without her permission.
A couple of observations from us:

1. The exterior of the Yacht has been well-preserved, the odd bit of plastic window frame aside.
  2. The interior in the 1950s was much cleaner and more minimalist — the bar, for example, got a faux-Victorian makeover at some point, and that tiled floor is now carpeted.
  3. No pump-clips! (See here.)
  4. The pool Sue mentions is the Jubilee Pool, due to re-open this summer after extensive storm damage in 2014, and a beautiful Art Deco twin to the pub.

The Yacht Inn, Penzance, in the 1950s from Boak & Bailey's Beer Blog - Beer blogging since 2007, covering real ale, craft beer, pubs and British beer history.

More...