Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth Midlands Pub Crawl

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

http://www.ironbridge-gorge.co.uk/Pu...pub_guide.html these are all the pubs in the Gorge , most of the listings have links to the pubs own web pages , hope it helps
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated,

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Old Fox is now rubbish and only sells one ale if my memory serves me right. I last went to Old Fox was last October. Old Fox was in GBG but no longer. Go to Dragon Inn (JDW) only 100 yards down from Old Fox.

You can add Old Joint Stock to your list.. After you have finished your pint at Welly, go out via back door and up the stairs, you are in Old Joint Stock.. Wonderful pub and most Northerly Fuller's pub in UK.
    I'll add the Old Joint Stock to the list rather than the Old Fox, the reviews of the Dragon aren't very inspiring but I may go and see for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

The curry house at the bottom of the hill from the Golden Ball (going back into town, not towards Jackfield) is pretty good as well.

Where are you staying in Ironbridge?

To my shame the Tontine (I know I know) but I had an issue with staying at the Ball and just forgot the Robin Hood did rooms. All curry house recommendations gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    The Boat at Jackfield is usually worth a visit and theres a footbridge over to Coalport right outside , if your in a car you can go further down the river and cross at the Woodbridge wheres theres another pub , the Woodbridge .
    The Brewery in Coalport isnt to bad if its open (strange opening times because of mating Fireflys)
    If your a CAMRA member you should be able to get in the Abbey Club at Buildwas , its got a good rep for beer and is set in the ruins of Buildwas Abbey.
    A bit further up the hill is the Coalbrookdale , its allways worth a visit and a GBG regular .
    I hoped there was a bridge there, that solves that bit of the crawl. It's a mammoth crawl so trains and buses only (no license = no job). I'll check out the Brewery but Buildwas might be a bit far as might Coalbrookedale unless the bus goes that way on Thursday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Hi OB

The Mount Pleasant in Sedgely is worth a look - but hopefully i can meet up with you anyhow!
    I'll see you there, I'll PM you nearer the time and see how you're fixed for a lift from Mrs SD.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

How about the Bartons Arms at Newtown, Birmingham. If you are going to the Bull in Price Street, it is just a few stops further on the 51/52 or 33/34 routes. Oakham house that is fantastic inside. The old tiling and snob screens are worth the visit alone.

You just have to wander round the tiled rooms. Has been a bit up and down beer wise lately, but I have heard Oakham have taken it back in hand and installed someone to look after it properly.

Anyone getting a chance of a cellar tour there should take it. It is amazing with a warren of rooms.

Spritzer Swallower

Sounds like a fine few days!

As for Birmingham, it seems to continue to improve but changes often - I would agree with the comment of adding the Joint Stock, and also, despite my own review of the Dragon, since then this has improved greatly whilst the Old Fox next door has gone the other way. Potential wild cards could be the excellent Old Contemptables and Pub du Vin. Outsiders Sun on the Hill next to Briar Rose has some beers now and has improved, as has the Windsor round the corner, though the architecture isn't brilliant in either and they are still changing. And heading out on the way to the Black Country there are some fine bars now in the Jewellery Quarter and the Black Eagle in Hockley is very fine indeed.

For me the Anchor is the best pint in Birmingham, and worth the trip out to Digbeth.

Hope you enjoy

Danny

Birmingham - you know it well enough but did you consider the Old Joint Stock, Old Contemptibles, Tap and Spile or even the Barton Arms (listed under Aston, on the 51 bus route from Brum to Walsall)

Lower Gornal - Old Bulls Head ( home of Black Country Ales); Mad O'Rourke's Steak and Pie Factory (Lumphammer). The Crooked House has upped its game but you would need a driver/taxi

Bridgnorth - Soup D has just trodden this path but have you looked at the Bell and Talbot or the White Lion

Worcester - I'm not sure how mobile you can be but I visited the Mug House at Claines on Monday and it's excellent. You need a car/taxi to get there
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 05-05-2010 at 20:39. Reason: I only read the first post before I replied. At least our suggestions were reached independently!
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    The Boat at Jackfield is usually worth a visit and theres a footbridge over to Coalport right outside , if your in a car you can go further down the river and cross at the Woodbridge wheres theres another pub , the Woodbridge .
    I used to like the setting of the Woodbridge but it's been a while since I went last. I must go again sometime (The Half Moon Inn was a summer Sunday afternoon favourite haunt down the wooden road - a sad loss when it closed in the 90s)
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    To my shame the Tontine (I know I know) but I had an issue with staying at the Ball and just forgot the Robin Hood did rooms. All curry house recommendations gratefully received.
    I've no idea what the rooms are like but The Tontine now sells some good beer. Usually 3 on tap and all well kept on my last visit.

I believe it's a bit of a kiddies playroom on Saturday nights though.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 06-05-2010 at 11:15.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

If your in Ironbridge of an afternoon be warned the Bird in Hand doesnt open in the day during the week .
    As for curry houses the one on the island at the bottom of the hill in the old police station , Pondicherry is very good but a bit pricey . If you fancy something english the Steak and Kidney pies at the Horse and Jockey are regular award winners in national compitions and come highly recomended .

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I used to like the setting of the Woodbridge but it's been a while since I went last. I must go again sometime (The Half Moon Inn was a summer Sunday afternoon favourite haunt down the wooden road - a sad loss when it closed in the 90s)
    The Woodbridge has struggled to stay open recently , not helped by major roadworks meaning a huge diversion through Brossley to get there a couple of years ago , to be honest i am not sure its still open , will have to check .
    I preffered the Half Moon to the other pubs on that side of the river , though the Black Swan(Dirty Duck) has upped its game and is now very good .
    The wooden road is actually one of the oldest railway lines in the country , built for horse drawn trucks long before steam engines

Talking to a couple of old boys in the Station last night who had done a Coalport/Jackfield crawl earlier this week , bad news is the Brewery in Coalport is now keg only ruining what was once a cracking little pub , but the good news is the Half Moon in Jackfield is set to reopen in the next few months after being closed for about 15 years , its now owned by the Landlord of the Shakespeare in Coalport and has undergone an 18 month resturation