Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth Midlands Pub Crawl

Default Mammoth Midlands Pub Crawl

I am planning a mammoth Midlands pubcrawl, well 5 days, this June. I should be starting in Birmingham City Centre on a Monday night followed by the Black Country on Tuesday, Ironbridge on Wednesday, Bridgnorth on Thursday and ending in Worcester on Friday night. So far the pubs I have as don't miss are listed below, have I missed anywhere? Is there a really obvious gem that has passed me by or are any of these complete mingers?

Birmingham,
    The Bull, Old Fox, Wellington, and in Digbeth, The Anchor, The Lamp and the White Swan. I will probably have breakfast in the Briar Rose or the Figure of 8.

Black Country
    I'm staying in Dudley but intend going to Sedgely (Beacon) Upper Gornal (Britannia and Jolly Crispen) and Lower Gornal (Black Bear and Fountain). I'd love to go to Brierley Hill or Netherton again but time is against me as I only have one evening of drinking here.

Ironbridge
    After the All Nations in Madeley I 'm going down to Ironbridge, I know and quite like the Golden Ball and the Robin Hood, I may try the Bird in Hand? I was also thinking of trying Jackfield (Station/Black Swan/Boat) and Coalport (Shakespere). I'm there Wednesday night and Thursday before going off to Bridgnorth for Thursday night/Friday. Does anyone know if there's a bridge near the Boat Inn that goes over to Coalport High St? My map calls it a Tar Tunnel.

Bridgnorth
    Obviously the Railwaymans will get a couple of visits as well as the GBG listed pubs in High Town plus the Black Horse down the hill. The Black Boy, Swan Hotel, Hen & Chickens also look worthwhile. I shall get the SVR train down to Kidderminster about mid afternoon on Friday with a break for refreshments in the King & Castle before going on to Worcester.

For Worcester I have the Dragon of course (although I think it's a bit cliquey and prefer the atmosphere in the Saracens) plus the Plough and the Swan with Two Nicks. There's also the Postal Order and I quite liked the Cricketers last time I was in.

Sounds superb.

I started a marathan pub crawl 31 years ago. I'm probably just over half way.

Old Fox is now rubbish and only sells one ale if my memory serves me right. I last went to Old Fox was last October. Old Fox was in GBG but no longer. Go to Dragon Inn (JDW) only 100 yards down from Old Fox.

You can add Old Joint Stock to your list.. After you have finished your pint at Welly, go out via back door and up the stairs, you are in Old Joint Stock.. Wonderful pub and most Northerly Fuller's pub in UK.
    Last edited by hopwas; 05-05-2010 at 09:49.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Old Fox is now rubbish and only sells one ale if my memory serves me right. I last went to Old Fox was last October. Old Fox was in GBG but no longer. Go to Dragon Inn (JDW) only 100 yards down from Old Fox.

You can add Old Joint Stock to your list.. After you have finished your pint at Welly, go out via back door and up the stairs, you are in Old Joint Stock.. Wonderful pub and most Northerly Fuller's pub in UK.
    The Green Dragon is one of the most up and down JDWs I've ever been in. Call in one week and they've got 4 guest ales on. Called in the next and they only had Abbott on handpump.

Old Fox is in GBG 2010 Hoppy. Has it been dropped for the 2011 one?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The Green Dragon is one of the most up and down JDWs I've ever been in. Call in one week and they've got 4 guest ales on. Called in the next and they only had Abbott on handpump.

Old Fox is in GBG 2010 Hoppy. Has it been dropped for the 2011 one?
    Old Fox is in GBG?! Jesus.. One ale and they are in GBG! Outrageous!

Since when it has changed name from Dragon Inn to Green Dragon?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ironbridge
    After the All Nations in Madeley I 'm going down to Ironbridge, I know and quite like the Golden Ball and the Robin Hood, I may try the Bird in Hand? I was also thinking of trying Jackfield (Station/Black Swan/Boat) and Coalport (Shakespere). I'm there Wednesday night and Thursday before going off to Bridgnorth for Thursday night/Friday. Does anyone know if there's a bridge near the Boat Inn that goes over to Coalport High St? My map calls it a Tar Tunnel.
    If you try the Bird In Hand walk across the nearby bridge and definitely try the Black Swan as well, especially if it's sunny as they have a great beer garden. As does The Meadow Inn at the opposite end of the town.

The curry house at the bottom of the hill from the Golden Ball (going back into town, not towards Jackfield) is pretty good as well.

Where are you staying in Ironbridge?
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 05-05-2010 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Since when it has changed name from Dragon Inn to Green Dragon?
    It was a very recent change Hoppy and only in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It was a very recent change Hoppy and only in my head.

You are not the only one.. I keep referring Dragon Inn as Drangonfly Inn which is of course JDW at BIA..

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Boat at Jackfield is usually worth a visit and theres a footbridge over to Coalport right outside , if your in a car you can go further down the river and cross at the Woodbridge wheres theres another pub , the Woodbridge .
    The Brewery in Coalport isnt to bad if its open (strange opening times because of mating Fireflys)
    If your a CAMRA member you should be able to get in the Abbey Club at Buildwas , its got a good rep for beer and is set in the ruins of Buildwas Abbey.
    A bit further up the hill is the Coalbrookdale , its allways worth a visit and a GBG regular .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi OB

The Mount Pleasant in Sedgely is worth a look - but hopefully i can meet up with you anyhow!
    MILD: