Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 93

Thread: Oxford, summer 2016

  1. #11
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oxford Canal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cider Drinker View Post
    So, how are we looking now? We can only do Sat 2nd or Fri 1st, Fri 15th or Fri 22nd. X
    I could do Friday 15th or 22nd .
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  2. #12
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I could do Friday 15th or 22nd .
    I'd normally go for a Friday (and would prefer the 22nd to the 15th), but I've just had a quick look at train fares. Saturday 2nd is quite substantially cheaper - there may be more favourable options such as splitting my journey in Birmingham that I haven't explored yet, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Saturday 2nd (with apologies to Nev).

    Some people were quite vociferous about doing this on a Saturday - have we heard from them yet on this thread?
    Come On You Hatters!

  3. #13
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Some people were quite vociferous about doing this on a Saturday - have we heard from them yet on this thread?
    I don't know if you're referring to me but I won't be there whatever the outcome. I've got a load,of trips already planned for July and to be honest I don't regard Oxford as a destination place . Even in the Morrells and Morland days I didn't really rate it. I've got cheap rail tickets for June to visit the Spoons but I'm not really bothered about Nicholson's, Young's, Brakspear or Fuller's pubs, in fact I'd rather not go to them at all. As it's Oxford I'm expecting to be ripped off right left and centre and will take some CAMRA vouchers for the Spoons.

  4. #14
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'd normally go for a Friday (and would prefer the 22nd to the 15th), but I've just had a quick look at train fares. Saturday 2nd is quite substantially cheaper - there may be more favourable options such as splitting my journey in Birmingham that I haven't explored yet, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Saturday 2nd (with apologies to Nev).

    Some people were quite vociferous about doing this on a Saturday - have we heard from them yet on this thread?
    I have always prefered Saturdays,one because its easier for me workwise(I understand its the opposite for you Will) ,and secondly its normally a lot cheaper travelwise although in this case its a relatively cheap trip for me with no need of advanced tickets.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  5. #15
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oxford Canal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    2nd isn't suitable for me either, but the rest are fine and don't mind Fridays or Saturdays.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    at the moment I'm leaning towards Saturday 2nd (with apologies to Nev).
    More apologies ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  6. #16
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    2nd isn't suitable for me either, but the rest are fine and don't mind Fridays or Saturdays.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ... at the moment I'm leaning towards Saturday 2nd (with apologies to Nev).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    More apologies ?
    Sorry Ray!

    Actually, there's nothing to stop you organising a poll and getting the majority of people to support the "not the 2nd" option. That will make it easier for me to decide not to come. (I'm beginning to have some sympathy for Aqualung's thoughts about whether Oxford is really a destination, pub-wise.)
    Come On You Hatters!

  7. #17
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oxford Canal
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Selecting a date is always tricky and there doesn't seem a date which suits all.

    Reading back through the thread ,the options seem to me to be

    Saturday 2nd July

    Friday 15th July

    Friday 22nd July

    For those people who would like to do Oxford,should we poll on just these dates ,or should a wider list of both Friday and Saturday dates in July be on a poll ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  8. #18
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    (I'm beginning to have some sympathy for Aqualung's thoughts about whether Oxford is really a destination, pub-wise.)
    I would say it is a pub destination, but maybe not a beer destination, but then I do seem to be becoming a bit of a beer snob.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  9. #19
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Selecting a date is always tricky and there doesn't seem a date which suits all.

    Reading back through the thread ,the options seem to me to be

    Saturday 2nd July

    Friday 15th July

    Friday 22nd July

    For those people who would like to do Oxford,should we poll on just these dates ,or should a wider list of both Friday and Saturday dates in July be on a poll ?
    There should be a wider list and if possible accommodate everyone, a tall order I know, I can be flexible and will do a Friday if necessary,but I think Saturday options should always be considered and they may possibly encourage new attendees, which must be a good thing.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  10. #20
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm beginning to have some sympathy for Aqualung's thoughts about whether Oxford is really a destination, pub-wise.
    Hardly surprising if you live in Sheffield!

Similar Threads

  1. Oxford pub crawl Summer 2016
    By Dave M in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2016, 21:07
  2. Oxford changes
    By Wild Rover in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-07-2013, 14:42
  3. Another one in Oxford
    By Oggwyn Trench in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-06-2013, 13:08
  4. Few more in Oxford
    By Oggwyn Trench in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-06-2013, 13:08
  5. Oxford
    By RogerB in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 16:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •