Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 9 May 2010)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 9 May 2010)

Into Mild May, I hope to find out what it is that Soup has been telling me about for so long.

aleandhearty
    :Nook Blond
    Oggwyn Trench: Prospect Dragons Ale
    Millay: Oldershaw's Sunnydaze
    oldboots: Carlisle State Brewery Bitter
    RogerB: Wolf Golden Jackal
    Bucking Fastard: Butlers Revenge
    ROBCamra: Spire Twist and Stout
    HTM69: Sharp's Doom Bar
    Pubsignman: Copper Dragon Golden Pippen
    Hopwas: Rudgate Ruby Mild

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Into Mild May, I hope to find out what it is that Soup has been telling me about for so long.
    The Baum had 3 milds on last night (get to Rochdale Soupy).

I had a fine pint of Wolf Lupus Lupus to start with. I was then going to have a pint of Cathedral St Hugh's but it went, never mind I'd had that one before in the Cathedral Brewery Tap in Lincoln.

So the next port of call was Hop Back English Hop Medley which was excellent. Now for the milds.

First off I had Midgely Mild from Little Valley brewery which was quite nice. Green Mill Mohawk Mild had been on when we arrived, but that went as well, never mind I'd had that one before as well.

It was replaced by the rather excellent Darkness from Acorn brewery.

The Cathedral had been replaced by Titanic Iceberg, so I finished off with a pint of that, which was also very good.

A great start to the drinking week with the English Hop Medley probably just shading it so far.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

So far I had..

Rudgate Ruby Mild
    Titanic Mild (was labelled as Mild Festival but not listed in leaflet!)
    Moorhouse's Amber Rambler..

..er that's it! Could be struggling to get BOTW this week..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

So far this week I have had some Skinners and Sharps, a Keltek and a couple of Driftwood Spa beers. Nothing really excited the old taste buds, but I reckon the Driftwood Spa Bawden Roocks was the best one of those tried so far.

Heard there is a festival this weekend over at Trewellard Arms, Trewellard near Geever Mines, so have found out bus routes and will go on Saturday. No idea what is on, and it is a pub I have not been to before, so looking forward to a good day.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Managed to find a couple of milds on at the Fernandes Tap earlier this evening: Crouch Vale 'Blackwater' which was OK, rather ho-hum. The Fernandes 'Jackdaw' was much better, a really tasty 5%er, but it went off the next pint after mine. Also tried a new one on me from Ossett called 'Citra' which was beautifully citrussy and refreshing as the name suggests. The Bengal Lancer, also new to me, seemed a bit disappointing after that, but I'd like to taste it again on a fresh palate.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Back in Kent this week, and I'm pleased to say that the Late Red - surprising that it's still around - gets my vote once again. I've quite taken to this brew, I must admit.

In a way it's a shame - I have very good memories of Youngs beers but was extrenmely disappointed with the pint I had in Bessels Green - it was most definately off. That's quite a few times I've had bad Youngs over the last few months: is this a trend or have I just been unlucky?

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Thought i had better try some Mild last night before Soupy hits Oakengates and drinks it all had an a pleasant Ansells Mild in the Station and a pint of Magpie Mild in the Crown which was a bit sweet for me . Other beers sampled last night were a very good Kelham Island Bobs your Uncle , Warickshire Golden Bear which was a bit lacking in body for a 4.9% , Thorne Pale Ale pleasant enough and a very good Prospect Dragons Ale , its between Kelham Island and Prospect at the moment
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

At Banbury beer festival yesterday,as was the same at Reading last week,the beer quality was excellent. Pick of the day had to be Weatheroak Hill WHB. Just excellent.

A close second was Wolf Hero at the Nags Head in Reading. Top pub that one.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Tried four Nook Brewery beers in the Nook pub itself yesterday afternoon. Enjoyed the Best, Oat Stout and the Red, however the Blond was truly oustanding and my probable BOTW (unless I can squeeze a couple in somewhere this afternoon).

BOTW: Nook 'Blond'.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

First and best of yesterday's tour of Berkhamsted, Tring, Aldbury, & Marsworth, was Tring Ridgeway at Berko's 'Lamb'.
    Very important to start a crawl with a good beer in fine fettle, and this was excellent.