Ads not shown when logged in
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean, but it's not entirely clear.

"WY DaySaver Train
    Where to buy:*Prepaid Ticket from a Rail Station Ticket Office

Concessionary Train DaySaver
    Where to buy:*Prepaid Ticket from a Rail Station Ticket Office"

Does this mean we can call in at any railway station anywhere and ask for a WY Train DaySaver (or concessionary equivalent), or do we have to be in Yorkshire, or more specifically in West Yorkshire?
    Their website is not written at all well, but if you dig far enough, this is hidden in the FAQs:

Buy your ticket from a ticket machine at these West Yorkshire rail stations:
    Leeds, Batley, Burley Park, Crossgates, East Garforth, Garforth, Headingley, Horsforth, New Pudsey, Woodlesford, Apperley Bridge, Bingley, Bradford F Square, Bradford Int, Burley in Wharfedale, Castleford, Crossflats, Frizinghall, Guiseley, Menston, Normanton, Saltaire, Sandal & Agbrigg, Shipley, Wakefield Kirkgate, Ben Rhydding, Fitzwilliam, Halifax, Ilkley, Keighley, Hebden Bridge, Moorthorpe, Mytholmroyd, Slaithwaite, South Elmsall, Sowerby Bridge, Steeton & Silsden, Todmorden
    (Bus stations, newsagents etc listed also)

You can of course use their mobile app, if you are prepared to have loads of similar cluttering up your phone.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Their website is not written at all well, but if you dig far enough, this is hidden in the FAQs:

Buy your ticket from a ticket machine at these West Yorkshire rail stations:
    Leeds, Batley, Burley Park, Crossgates, East Garforth, Garforth, Headingley, Horsforth, New Pudsey, Woodlesford, Apperley Bridge, Bingley, Bradford F Square, Bradford Int, Burley in Wharfedale, Castleford, Crossflats, Frizinghall, Guiseley, Menston, Normanton, Saltaire, Sandal & Agbrigg, Shipley, Wakefield Kirkgate, Ben Rhydding, Fitzwilliam, Halifax, Ilkley, Keighley, Hebden Bridge, Moorthorpe, Mytholmroyd, Slaithwaite, South Elmsall, Sowerby Bridge, Steeton & Silsden, Todmorden
    Thanks for doing the digging!

So if I wanted to get a concessionary WY Train Day Saver I'd have to get a Northern train to Moorthorpe (the station on the border between South and West Yorkshire), get off and go to the ticket machine and search for the appropriate ticket. Meanwhile, of course, the train will have departed without me. Only then will I realise that the ticket machine is out of order and I'll have to wait for the next train (an hour later) still with no WY Train Day Saver in my wallet.

And they wonder why people prefer to go by car.
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Yes, the WY saver is odd that you have to be already within the region to buy it but, once there, is very handy and the groupsave especially good value at £25.10 for five people for the day!
    For info we successfully managed Wakefield, Ossett, Dewsbury, Huddersfield, Halifax, Leeds (on Saturday) and a few pubs in Sheffield today for the Sunday debrief.
    Great to have aleandhearty tag along for a few of the early visits around his region!
    Right, I'm off to bed for a week...

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Made a mistake booking London-Derby 25Jan when we have folk coming round for haggis (I know, burns hated us, but i like the stuff, esp with my port-y-fied gravy)
    So, if anyone can use 11:02 outbound, 19:09rtn, pm me and i'll send a snip of the e-tkts/qr codes, free to trusted members here...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Made a mistake booking London-Derby 25Jan when we have folk coming round for haggis (I know, burns hated us, but i like the stuff, esp with my port-y-fied gravy)
    So, if anyone can use 11:02 outbound, 19:09rtn, pm me and i'll send a snip of the e-tkts/qr codes, free to trusted members here...
    Give one of your guests the ticket and I will come around for the haggis .cheers jock

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I like it with a shot of scotch tossed on.

This Space For Hire

Chiltern Railways have a half price offer on selected advance tickets for travel up to 14 March - book by 6 Feb. A cheap way of getting from London to Oxford or Birmingham and vv.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Not trains, but buses

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65616182

The £2 cap on bus fares in England has been extended again until the end of October, the government has announced.

The cap, which applies to more than 130 bus operators outside of London, will then rise in November to £2.50 for 12 months, before prices are reviewed.

That will inform my summer plans! Ideal time to get out to some sticks pubs I usually wouldn't do on a day out.

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The £2 cap on bus fares in England has been extended again until the end of October, the government has announced.

That will inform my summer plans! Ideal time to get out to some sticks pubs I usually wouldn't do on a day out.
    This is good news, but if you're planning on getting out to some country pubs, you might still do better to get an all day ticket, as these will often provide a saving if you take more than three or four buses.
    Come On You Hatters!