Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I know someone who was on that train luckily he was going to Stockport where it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If only there were some political party guaranteeing to renationlise the railways.
    Ah, the nationalised railways - gave us Pacers, 'The Reshaping of British Railways' and the worst tea in Britain, if I recall rightly!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If only there were some political party guaranteeing to renationlise the railways. Then you could vote for them, if only there was a general election any time soon.

Oh, wait a minute...
    I actually believe there is a fair amount of public support for taking the railways back into public ownership especially if it's achieved by just letting the existing franchises run out. The trouble is it's just one issue of many. The grief over guards operating the doors on trains is government inspired and the franchises offer little competition with the notable exception of London to Brum. The government don't want any more of this as the HS2 franchise has already been handed to the untested shower taking over from Virgin.

I've already cast my postal vote. I'll be in Wolverhampton on election day!

This Space For Hire

Trying to remain zipped on this one, but suffice it to say that 80% of problems on the railways are attributable to interference by civil servants and/or politicians, so sadly any further renationalisation could only make this worse.

Detailed explanation would require a long session and numerous pints...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Detailed explanation would require a long session and numerous pints...
    Sign me up!

This Space For Hire

Transport for London have taken over the Paddington to Reading line as of yesterday.From 2nd January you can get free travel to Reading using a Freedom pass for the over sixties.Probably not many on here can make use of this deal but I will be using it. Like Reading a lot and like reading a lot as well.Went down a couple of weeks ago and the cheapest fare from Ealing was about £18.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Transport for London have taken over the Paddington to Reading line as of yesterday.From 2nd January you can get free travel to Reading using a Freedom pass for the over sixties.Probably not many on here can make use of this deal but I will be using it. Like Reading a lot and like reading a lot as well.Went down a couple of weeks ago and the cheapest fare from Ealing was about £18.
    I assume this will only apply to the slow trains terminating at Reading. Another handy thing is that you can use the freedom pass on TFL services at any time.
    Probably of lesser interest is that Sunday Winter services on the Cambrian Coast line will now be five trains in each direction per day instead of the pathetic and frankly useless one.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I assume this will only apply to the slow trains terminating at Reading.
    Indeed, and even then only the TfL Rail ones (the Purple trains) which take 55-58 minutes and only run half-hourly (4 an hour in peak). And perhaps more importantly for those with Freedom passes on the way back, don't have toilets!

I believe that the concession already applies, although general fares will not change until 2 Jan. but it does also include such exciting places as Slough and Maidenhead.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Indeed, and even then only the TfL Rail ones (the Purple trains) which take 55-58 minutes and only run half-hourly (4 an hour in peak). And perhaps more importantly for those with Freedom passes on the way back, don't have toilets!
    That's unbelievable! I thought that they will be running the new Crossrail units and if they don't have toilets then that's ridiculous.
    The way I read it was that GWR will be running the faster trains to the likes of Oxford. Sadly half of the TFL trains seem to be going to Heathrow. I'm sure I went on one of the new Crossrail trains towards Liverpool Street but can't remember if I noticed a toilet.

This is unbelievable for the North,

Azuma.jpg