Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
No, I went via Doncaster and the ECML to Peterborough, that well known border town, because it can be quite a bit cheaper that way, then the slow train via Ely to Norwich.
I'm not surprised to hear that, the East Midland advance fares to Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield are a lot more expensive than the WCML.

I've used those Direct Rail Services trains on the Cumbrian Coast - they run them between Carlisle and Barrow in Furness sometimes. They're great - love those old carriages, though the step up to the guard's van can be awkward with a laden bicycle. And those Class 37s! (Though they only use one at a time on that route - pulling going north and pushing on the return journey.)
I ended up on one of those things when doing the Lake District coast Spoons and you're right about the push pull aspect. I didn't like it as much as you because I was travelling to Dumfries!

Yes, the heart sinks when a Pacer comes into view from the platform. Are they really not much more than 30 years old? Hard to credit.
They were first introduced in 1980 so none of them are 40 yet but they are all over 30. The most important thing is that they were supposed to be a stopgap.