Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I thought they always phoned a 'coded message' to a newspaper.
    Not for an actual threat but when a 'suspect package' was reported. Mind you, the one occasion I actually reported one, after about 10 minutes a special branch guy appeared, ripped it open, apparently decided it was safe and threw it in a bin! A bit of direct action saved a lot of messing about in those times,

Just don't get me started on the incessantly repeated 'see it, say it, sorted' nonsense we get nowadays...
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Just don't get me started on the incessantly repeated 'see it, say it, sorted' nonsense we get nowadays...
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that finds this announcement so annoying.

Default More new trains for London commuters

The discussions on the Pub Crawl forum reminded me that apparently Liverpool Street has new EMUs for Norwich & Ipswich. This is another kick in the teeth for the North where Arriva North is still running the pathetic Pacer DMUs which are supposed to be all withdrawn by the end of the year as they don't have an accessible toilet. I recently travelled to Wylam from Newcastle on one and found it totally unacceptable. So what will replace these dinosaur units? It won't be new trains! Some will laughably be replaced with refurbished 40 year old trains from London's District line by a micky mouse outfit called Vivarail. The rest will be replaced by ancient dross cascaded down from new trains on SOME Arriva North faster services. I don't know how the North puts up with this especially with advance of the pointless HS2.

Completely agree, last year was an absolute nightmare in the North West i was having to turn up for the train earlier hoping that one out of two might turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't know how the North puts up with this especially with advance of the pointless HS2.
    1. Who's in government
    2. Where are most voters

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    The discussions on the Pub Crawl forum reminded me that apparently Liverpool Street has new EMUs for Norwich & Ipswich. This is another kick in the teeth for the North where Arriva North is still running the pathetic Pacer DMUs which are supposed to be all withdrawn by the end of the year as they don't have an accessible toilet. I recently travelled to Wylam from Newcastle on one and found it totally unacceptable. So what will replace these dinosaur units? It won't be new trains! Some will laughably be replaced with refurbished 40 year old trains from London's District line by a micky mouse outfit called Vivarail. The rest will be replaced by ancient dross cascaded down from new trains on SOME Arriva North faster services. I don't know how the North puts up with this especially with advance of the pointless HS2.
    Hey, try and keep up mate! The first of Northern's 101 new trains started running this week.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Just Missed the Round

Hey, try and keep up mate! The first of Northern's 101 new trains started running this week.
    You beat me to it! We're definitely getting a load of "new new" trains.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/ne...ew-train-fleet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48770078

I tend to use the Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Oxford Road service which apparently won't be getting the new trains initially so not sure how long it will be before I see one in the wild, but the long overdue retirement of the Pacers can only be a good thing.

It would be interesting to see if some of the grubby passengers will treat the new trains with a bit more respect, or whether they will still be leaving their empty beer cans and bottles on the seats for someone else to clear away.

And don't get me started on HS2. By the time it is completed (if it ever is) I predict there will be fewer people than ever commuting long distances on a regular basis as more employers than ever are geared up for flexible and home working.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post

And don't get me started on HS2. By the time it is completed (if it ever is) ...
    Won't happen, Crossrail 3 or some other South Eastern project will take priority and the dosh, you'll have to wait until London is completely undercut by railway track before the north gets owt and that'll be cast off trains as usual.

I knew they were coming but hadn't realised the first one had arrived. I may have actually seen one at Crewe/.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    And don't get me started on HS2. By the time it is completed (if it ever is) I predict there will be fewer people than ever commuting long distances on a regular basis as more employers than ever are geared up for flexible and home working.

I've a suspicion this may already be happening. Trains from Euston to Liverpool seem to be little used and most people on the Glasgow trains don't go further than Preston. On the Scotland trains via the W Midlands are quiet after New Street. I heard on the news that Premier Inn business use has reduced. It seems to be easy this year to get advance stays at £30.00 a night.