Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Excellent
    ... though there was a cock-up with accessing the tickets once purchased. I got an error message from the machine at Sheffield station, saying that "due to a technical issue, the terminal is unable to issue the tickets" and referring me to the train company's website.

When I tried to access help at Northern, I was told that any problems with printing the tickets should be referred to the TOC responsible for the station where the ticket machine was situated.

So back to Sheffield station, where I was eventually informed that the machine couldn't print the tickets because "there's no such fare as 10p". Which raises the questions, 1) why does the machine care what the fare is? (Just print the sodding tickets.), and 2) why didn't Northern know about this before instigating their Flash Sale? and not to mention 3) why is their own website so unhelpful?

So I had to go to the (human) ticket salesperson, who was doubtless delighted to have to print out all my 10p tickets, and I hope East Midlands Railway charged Northern an appropriate fee for the service.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I was on a Pacer today!@?! Doors didn’t open on all (2 !) cars at two stops, ah life in a northern town.
    You have my sympathy. they must be the only stock that was worse than the stock they replaced. I wonder if any of the heritage lines will use any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Abellio is of course a subsidiary of Dutch State Railways and, whilst not being an apologist for them, the lack of any decision to replace HSTs is squarely the responsibility of the D(a)fT who cancelled electrification of the route without coming up with an alternative plan.
    This is the trouble with rail privatisation. The TOCs are supposedly private companies but are reliant on the government. I'm not proposing the idea that they should run the track maintenance either. Railtrack was a disaster and were only interested in flogging off land.

... though there was a cock-up with accessing the tickets once purchased. I got an error message from the machine at Sheffield station, saying that "due to a technical issue, the terminal is unable to issue the tickets" and referring me to the train company's website.

When I tried to access help at Northern, I was told that any problems with printing the tickets should be referred to the TOC responsible for the station where the ticket machine was situated.

So back to Sheffield station, where I was eventually informed that the machine couldn't print the tickets because "there's no such fare as 10p". Which raises the questions, 1) why does the machine care what the fare is? (Just print the sodding tickets.), and 2) why didn't Northern know about this before instigating their Flash Sale? and not to mention 3) why is their own website so unhelpful?

So I had to go to the (human) ticket salesperson, who was doubtless delighted to have to print out all my 10p tickets, and I hope East Midlands Railway charged Northern an appropriate fee for the service.

I've had loads of grief getting pre-ordered tickets. It's usually been that the ticket machine doesn't recognise the card. I try and avoid it now ordering in advance printed tickets by first class post which TFW Rail do for free. I'm guessing with these 10p tickets you were ordering too late for that option.

K

Snap! Exactly the same thing just happened to me at Harrogate, I put it down to it being at bank holiday and likely to be an IT dept thing. I’ll try again and then ask a human hopefully one who works for Northern Fail aka the TOC I bought the bloody things off as they run Harrogate- I say run but they couldn’t run a Tap never mind a whelk stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    You have my sympathy. they must be the only stock that was worse than the stock they replaced. I wonder if any of the heritage lines will use any of them.
    I think we all know the answer to that one. I suspect HSE wouldn’t allow them to run anyway.

Default RIP Virgin Trains

Virgin Trains are no more. Having given up the ECML franchise and kept out of this franchise due to their involvement with Stagecoach, the fast trains from Euston are now to be run by Avanti West Coast. Avanti is a collusion between First Group and Italian Railways. No doubt their first task will not have anything to do with improving the service but will be plastering the trains with their stupid branding. In a move to increase competition with the hypothetical HS2 (shurely shome mishtake?) Avanti will also be running the trains on this line in the unlikely event that it ever gets completed.
    Virgin was the only TOC in which I had any confidence at all, now there are none.

I saw a fair bit of the West Midlands/London North Western trains in the last three days and late running seems to be the norm.

Allegedly (BBC website) Virgin (51% Virgin (or the bankers Beardie is in hock to) / 49% Stagecoach (or the disgusting Souter siblings), were disqualified for not complying with pension rules. Beardie and the Souters are suing HMG (us the taxpayers) over it, so the lawyers win and we all lose.

Virgin was the only TOC in which I had any confidence at all, now there are none.
    What a way to bow out: Virgin Trains' final service from London to Manchester cut short due to a 'fault'.

No doubt their first task will not have anything to do with improving the service but will be plastering the trains with their stupid branding.
    If only there were some political party guaranteeing to renationlise the railways. Then you could vote for them, if only there was a general election any time soon.

Oh, wait a minute...
    Come On You Hatters!