Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Subsidising that there London, again.

This Space For Hire

For once a fairly accurate article - daily travel in an around London not greatly affected as daily cap cheaper anyway, but through rail journeys from outside Greater London become more awkward/expensive, especially where evening peak restrictions apply. Not yet clear how train operators (ie DfT) will respond - also Overground/Elizabeth Line not generally affected.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Subsidising that there London, again.
    I stopped using travelcards some time ago - they used to offer great value if you were making more than a couple of journeys in London during the day, but now it's usually cheaper to get a standard train ticket into town then use Oyster or a contactless card with the daily pay-as-you-go cap.

This Space For Hire

First of the "New Year Sales" on Great Western - book by 10 Jan for travel up to 26 April.

Northern as well - travel from £1 (if you can find one)
    Last edited by Pangolin; 05-01-2024 at 08:07.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Northern as well - travel from £1 (if you can find one)
    There's a very helpful Find low-cost train tickets feature, where you can input your start and finish stations, which gives a calendar showing the days when a £1 fare is available between them.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Has everyone who might be interested picked up on this year's Great British Rail Sale? Purchase by 29 Jan, or when the discounted quota runs out, for travel by 15 March.

Has everyone who might be interested picked up on this year's Great British Rail Sale? Purchase by 29 Jan, or when the discounted quota runs out, for travel by 15 March.
    Of the two or three locations I tried, a regular ticket split site still works out a fair bit cheaper on a day return.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Is there actually a way to find where these supposed cheap tickets are? Because at the moment it looks like a shop saying there's a sale and then hiding the reduced items in the warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Is there actually a way to find where these supposed cheap tickets are? Because at the moment it looks like a shop saying there's a sale and then hiding the reduced items in the warehouse.
    Select your travel from station (Reading) , won't do Hook for me so Basingstoke in my case then travel to is best to select the inspire me tab and go through the A-Z or else it's needle in a haystack time. All single fares as far as I can see.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Of the two or three locations I tried, a regular ticket split site still works out a fair bit cheaper on a day return.
    Just looked at one of them (Trainsplit) and it clearly showed when a split ticket was (marginally) cheaper and when the sale tickets were cheaper. But the overall effect was a much greater choice of trains with a reduced fare. Note though that railcards are not valid in the sale, which makes them relatively pricier for those who have one,