Ads not shown when logged in
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    East Midlands Railway have bus replacement on most Sundays, St Pancras is not an option either.
    I didn't know about that as I never travel on a Sunday. The whole thing is looking too expensive and slow.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

A bad weekend to pick, but the message regarding absence of timetable is just a red-herring, there are trains listed.
    There is an option via Doncaster that would be ~£55, or £84 via Manchester, but I think he may just bite the bullet, esp if travelling with family - have advised to get a two-together if that;s the case, will pay for itself twice in one trip at those scandalous prices...

I was hoping to go up to Sheffield that weekend (8th & 9th Feb) for the football and couldn't understand why the cheap tickets weren't appearing. After reading this thread, it looks like I'll have to knock that on the head now. Are we likely to see these prices at weekends for as long as this engineering project is running?

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Are we likely to see these prices at weekends for as long as this engineering project is running?
    I'm not qualified to answer this but I would imagine the answer is Yes. I'm guessing that the upgrade work is mainly signalling but even as it moves North it will still affect services. I'm not planning any weekend journeys to or from the Cross this year.

This Space For Hire

I was hoping to go up to Sheffield that weekend (8th & 9th Feb) for the football and couldn't understand why the cheap tickets weren't appearing. After reading this thread, it looks like I'll have to knock that on the head now. Are we likely to see these prices at weekends for as long as this engineering project is running?
    The major Kings Cross work should finish by the end of February, then it will settle down a bit. September and next winter don't look good though. https://eastcoastupgrade.co.uk/the-programme/.

The St Pancras route has a lot of work going on for much of the year with new tracks and electrification but the extent and location of disruption varies each weekend - see https://www.eastmidlandsrailway.co.u...to-train-times
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

I was hoping to go up to Sheffield that weekend (8th & 9th Feb) for the football and couldn't understand why the cheap tickets weren't appearing. After reading this thread, it looks like I'll have to knock that on the head now.
    You can get to Sheffield from Euston via Milton Keynes, Tamworth and Derby. Only if your team really needs your support, though.
    Come On You Hatters!

Cheers for the info - they need all the support they can get right now, but that's not going to be from me at those prices!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    You can get to Sheffield from Euston via Milton Keynes, Tamworth and Derby. Only if your team really needs your support, though.
    Not recommended - The 4 coach CrossCountry train from Tamworth was so full it was leaving people behind last weekend!!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

This Space For Hire

Some good news for a change - Great Western Railway has a sale on for the next 9 days for travel up to 3 April.
    https://www.gwr.com/sale

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I did find advance tickets in the end, despite missing the notification alert from LNER which went into spam box, so hopefully he got the ~£47 rtn in the end, still not cheap but a lot better!

Also shame the very rare EMR offer was so short-lived, and seemingly a one-off code per receiving customer - still, got a jaunt back to the once-visited Loughborough for £15rtn