Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Serendipitous Moment of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    This is a beer that is brewed specially for The Three Stags Heads, a pub I have visited only two or three times in my more than 20 years in Sheffield. (It has limited opening hours - Friday evening, plus Saturday and Sunday - almost like a micro-pub.) So I was surprised to find Abbeydale Black Lurcher on a midweek visit to The Devonshire Cat. Apparently, a (wooden) cask of Black Lurcher was produced for the Dev Cat by Abbeydale for Sheffield Beer Week. It went on last Friday (15th March) and was still in good nick today at the discounted price of £2.75 per pint. I didn't discover the price until I'd already ordered a half, and was immediately tempted to have a pint as well, but eventually contented myself with a second half - it is 7% after all. Although described as an old ale, it comes across as more of a black IPA these days - very nice.
    I don't know that beer, I'm a bit wary of descriptions, Old ale is not really my thing so would normally avoid it if there were other choices, but a black IPA would probably grab my attention more so, at the end of the day if it tastes good it doesn't really matter how it's described, at 7% caution is the way forward.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'd already ordered a half, and was immediately tempted to have a pint as well, but eventually contented myself with a second half - it is 7% after all. Although described as an old ale, it comes across as more of a black IPA these days - very nice.
    I wonder if it's a variation on their Black Mass which is a permanent and eminently drinkable strong porter (or whatever!). Despite Abbeydale having been around a long time (25 years+?) I'll still give them the time of day. Is there anywhere that does their Last Rites?

This is a beer that is brewed specially for The Three Stags Heads, a pub I have visited only two or three times in my more than 20 years in Sheffield. (It has limited opening hours - Friday evening, plus Saturday and Sunday - almost like a micro-pub.) So I was surprised to find Abbeydale Black Lurcher on a midweek visit to The Devonshire Cat. Apparently, a (wooden) cask of Black Lurcher was produced for the Dev Cat by Abbeydale for Sheffield Beer Week. It went on last Friday (15th March) and was still in good nick today at the discounted price of £2.75 per pint. I didn't discover the price until I'd already ordered a half, and was immediately tempted to have a pint as well, but eventually contented myself with a second half - it is 7% after all. Although described as an old ale, it comes across as more of a black IPA these days - very nice.
    What a pub,what a beer! Highly drinkable.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Popped into my local Co-Op to grab a couple of beers for this evening, and was delighted to see a couple of new beers in their range; kiddie cans from this local brewery. The Inside Out stout in particular is seriously drinkable, and I can see myself stocking up on a few more of these now I'm into my dark beer phase of the year.
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"

This Space For Hire

Pleased to discover that Big Smoke now have their Underworld Milk Stout (5%) available in 4 pint containers from cask, rather than cans, still at £2.50 a pint and very nice too.

They have also brought out an Imperial Stout at 9%, but at £4.00 for a 330ml can, so not rushing.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Serendipitous moment of last week to be accurate.

The skipper and I visited the Tamworth Tap for the first time. What a great boozer. Ten real ales across strength and styles, great atmosphere and a log burner going on a cold night. As if that wasn't enough their on site brewery provided my Beer of The Week. Didn't expect it to be anything like that good being a shop conversion in the middle of Tamworth and along with a visit to the excellent Rusty Barrel the week was thoroughly decent.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    The skipper and I visited the Tamworth Tap for the first time. What a great boozer. Ten real ales across strength and styles, great atmosphere and a log burner going on a cold night. As if that wasn't enough their on site brewery provided my Beer of The Week. Didn't expect it to be anything like that good being a shop conversion in the middle of Tamworth
    Yes, I read the review posted a few days back. Sounds great. I think Quinno mentioned it last year, and I made a note of Tamworth as a possible Midlands crawl - maybe in conjunction with nearby Lichfield, as there are probably not enough decent pubs in either town, but together they would make a worthy destination.
    Come On You Hatters!

Good luck with that.

Either way, the Tamworth Tap is worthy of a visit on its’ own merits if my experience was anything to go by.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

My recent moment(s) comes from last Saturday when I was en route to Twickers to watch the rugger buggers and firstly popped in The Sussex Arms with hope that some of their pumps would be on to find all 20 on the go and a truly exceptional pint of Oakham Citra. And then secondly walking through the back streets to the ground found the Twickenham Brewery open on match days and a couple of enjoyable pints amongst the brewing kit here. Noticed its not on PuG so will be adding it later.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire

Went into the waterloo tap.had an out of date credit card but the staff agreed to take cash if I had the right money.next to the kings arms waterloo.didnt know what the problem with my card was but asked if they would check it before they poured my beer.didnt work.but they gave me a half for free.love london1.went to st felix place brewery tap next .sorry card only but the girl manning the desk said no problem and went and got me a free half of this new brewery.love london 2.nobody in the Borough market took cash but in the rake I asked 2bguys at the bar if they could get me a drink on there card I would give them the money but the bought me a pint and refused the money .love london 3..can't thank these people enough as my night could have been ruined.