Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
This is a beer that is brewed specially for The Three Stags Heads, a pub I have visited only two or three times in my more than 20 years in Sheffield. (It has limited opening hours - Friday evening, plus Saturday and Sunday - almost like a micro-pub.) So I was surprised to find Abbeydale Black Lurcher on a midweek visit to The Devonshire Cat. Apparently, a (wooden) cask of Black Lurcher was produced for the Dev Cat by Abbeydale for Sheffield Beer Week. It went on last Friday (15th March) and was still in good nick today at the discounted price of £2.75 per pint. I didn't discover the price until I'd already ordered a half, and was immediately tempted to have a pint as well, but eventually contented myself with a second half - it is 7% after all. Although described as an old ale, it comes across as more of a black IPA these days - very nice.
I don't know that beer, I'm a bit wary of descriptions, Old ale is not really my thing so would normally avoid it if there were other choices, but a black IPA would probably grab my attention more so, at the end of the day if it tastes good it doesn't really matter how it's described, at 7% caution is the way forward.