Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compass Points

I'll stay on me own

Default Compass Points

I know i have added compass [point to certain cities and towns that i know very well,i did not see any problem with them sitting next to the area that the pub was in,but certain members who have more power that me have decided to delete these,i will say yet again what harm were they doing.

Today was the straw that broke the camels back after coming home from work and sorting my wife out who has had an operation i find mass deletions of compass points in my home city.

After having a chat with my wife i will pull all photos in the Greater Nottingham area over the weekend,i know this is a drastic action to take but i am now almost done with the site,all i have ever tried to do since i joined it was to give other members help if needed.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Hallelujah. Sounds like you have other stuff you should be prioritising anyway.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Alan,maybe the question that you should be asking is ,besides yourself ,who else finds these compass point additions to the "served areas" helpful to what is IMHO an excellent website.

From my point of view they add very little ,however it is worth finding out if this is a minority or majority view.

Alan ,you have contributed a vast amount to this site but is it really worth getting upset by an issue that could possibly be described as marginal.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Considering that it's the home county of one of our most prolific photographers, Nottinghamshire is quite low on the list with 89.6% of pubs photographed. I note that there are approx.45 pubs in Nottingham postal district that do not have photos. Presumably this will rise next weekend when Al starts to do the promised deletions. As a keen photographer from a neighbouring county, this gives me more incentive to get down there and do some photography.

As far as I can see, the areas Nottingham North, South, East and West still exist. They have respectively 16, 14, 23 and 36 pubs in them. (Nottingham Central has 120.) I know it can be frustrating when an idea that you have is rejected by others. My solution would be to try harder to persuade people of the merits of my idea, failing which I would shrug my shoulders and move on. Previous threads suggest that there is not much support for Al's compass point areas - I for one see no harm in them and wouldn't waste my time going round deleting pubs from them.

From most people's viewpoint, I reckon this is a marginal issue, as BF says, and I think it would be a shame if Al were to carry out his threat of deleting his Nottingham photos.
    Come On You Hatters!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Like Al I also have had local area names deleted and anytown central etc substituted, without any notice, just job done

I did have a spell of returning to correct local area name, but in the end just gave up and decided if Big brother want to use anytown west for instance, despite being testicles to locals, go ahead

I realise how frustrating this can be to Al, and really cannot see why two locations cannot be used for same pub, like this Spice Island Inn

I leave my photos up though

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Hallelujah. Sounds like you have other stuff you should be prioritising anyway.
    So that is all you think of me after doing over 5000 reviews in 5 years on the site and adding even more photos,
    thanks for nothing MATE.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Considering that it's the home county of one of our most prolific photographers, Nottinghamshire is quite low on the list with 89.6% of pubs photographed. I note that there are approx.45 pubs in Nottingham postal district that do not have photos. Presumably this will rise next weekend when Al starts to do the promised deletions. As a keen photographer from a neighbouring county, this gives me more incentive to get down there and do some photography.

As far as I can see, the areas Nottingham North, South, East and West still exist. They have respectively 16, 14, 23 and 36 pubs in them. (Nottingham Central has 120.) I know it can be frustrating when an idea that you have is rejected by others. My solution would be to try harder to persuade people of the merits of my idea, failing which I would shrug my shoulders and move on. Previous threads suggest that there is not much support for Al's compass point areas - I for one see no harm in them and wouldn't waste my time going round deleting pubs from them.

From most people's viewpoint, I reckon this is a marginal issue, as BF says, and I think it would be a shame if Al were to carry out his threat of deleting his Nottingham photos.
    I have 12 photos on that list of pubs not photographed in the Nottingham postal district,there are a few new openings and some to the North that are still open,i wish you luck with the rest,they have either been pulled down or converted into other use,if you want more information about pubs in Nottingham ask Big Brother, i am sure he knows far more about the city than i do.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Like Al I also have had local area names deleted and anytown central etc substituted, without any notice, just job done

I did have a spell of returning to correct local area name, but in the end just gave up and decided if Big brother want to use anytown west for instance, despite being testicles to locals, go ahead.
    Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I think that this is the opposite point to that tabled by Al?

This Space For Hire

Could the issue about not getting alerted be down to not following the whole postal area before going down to the next level then adopting follow pubs?

I got Swindon replan of areas this way so not sure why Al isn't getting updates if perceived "big brother" is stripping compass points where Al had added them.

After meeting Al I can understand fully his method and reasoning behind them and potentially have a different outlook to them in places of a certain size to assist unfamiliar drinkers. It's actually the areas that weren't assigned in Swindon that i assigned which also subsequently got changed to different locations that ticked me off slightly.

Be interesting to see if RobCamra has a comment.....

It will be a loss to the site if Al does go through with removing pictures especially for the lost pubs as mentioned on his blog there is something of an air of reminiscent looking back at old cars and general old views that his pictures show.

I'll stay on me own

One last word on this subject,
    I will say for the last time what is wrong with having two small words on a pubs page next to the area the pub is actually in like Sneinton / Nottinghham East,big brother has deleted most compass point which renders the rest of them useless,he has also now started adding pubs in Nottingham city centre to Nottingham West along with Canning Circus,so we now have three lots of words on the pubs page example here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30935/but pubs in Wolloton which is a long standing suburb about two miles to the West of the City Centre is not allowed to have Nottingham West on its pub page,why is this.

I sent Dave a PM yesterday asking him to delete all compass points off the site as it is wasting my time and a admins time to re add them and then big brother to delete them the second they are approved.
    If he wanted to demorlise me then he has succeeded.
    Please take time to read this and try and think what he is doing,it does not make any sense to me, the only thing i can think of is that he is trying to get at me for some reason.
    Dave has not replied to PM yet.