Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compass Points

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    One last word on this subject,
    I will say for the last time what is wrong with having two small words on a pubs page next to the area the pub is actually in like Sneinton / Nottinghham East,big brother has deleted most compass point which renders the rest of them useless,he has also now started adding pubs in Nottingham city centre to Nottingham West along with Canning Circus,so we now have three lots of words on the pubs page example here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30935/but pubs in Wolloton which is a long standing suburb about two miles to the West of the City Centre is not allowed to have Nottingham West on its pub page,why is this.

I sent Dave a PM yesterday asking him to delete all compass points off the site as it is wasting my time and a admins time to re add them and then big brother to delete them the second they are approved.
    If he wanted to demorlise me then he has succeeded.
    Please take time to read this and try and think what he is doing,it does not make any sense to me, the only thing i can think of is that he is trying to get at me for some reason.
    Dave has not replied to PM yet.
    Al the pub you have used as an example has Nottingham west along with Nottingham Central and Canning Circus, am I missing something here? I am struggling to understand this whole debate.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 04-02-2016 at 19:25.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I have read these threads with only a passing interest to be honest. Compass points mean little to me personally but i see no harm in them being listed if other members find them of use. I would think that someone local to an area is best placed to decide where a pub sits in that area - just my opinion !

I have just had a look at the page updates for the pub in Al's message and i have to say it is ridiculous. Beyond a joke to be fair - a long list of add / remove to areas. Who is approving all of them ?

I use this site because i love pubs - simple as that.

Al, I for one would like to say that any contribution is welcome and it would be a great shame if you delete all of your photographs. You have put in a lot of effort contributing to the site ( a lot more effort than I do ! ) and I would think that most active members don't want to see photographs lost.

Just my opinions ....

Cheers,

Del.

I am a salmon !!

Having just seen Delboys post and having looked at the pub updates, I have to agree its beyond a joke and quite frankly beyond me. I'm out of my depth and out of this discussion.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    One last word on this subject,
    I will say for the last time what is wrong with having two small words on a pubs page next to the area the pub is actually in like Sneinton / Nottinghham East,big brother has deleted most compass point which renders the rest of them useless,he has also now started adding pubs in Nottingham city centre to Nottingham West along with Canning Circus,so we now have three lots of words on the pubs page example here http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30935/but pubs in Wolloton which is a long standing suburb about two miles to the West of the City Centre is not allowed to have Nottingham West on its pub page,why is this.

I sent Dave a PM yesterday asking him to delete all compass points off the site as it is wasting my time and a admins time to re add them and then big brother to delete them the second they are approved.
    If he wanted to demorlise me then he has succeeded.
    Please take time to read this and try and think what he is doing,it does not make any sense to me, the only thing i can think of is that he is trying to get at me for some reason.
    Dave has not replied to PM yet.
    This has taken a new twist. The pub(s) in question being 9 minutes walk from the town, I would consider central but I can't see any problem with Nottingham West being added as well as Nottingham Central (this tells you its location - handy for the centre but a short walk away).

The thing I can't understand is why someone totally against compass points has started adding them whilst deleting most of the others that are a little further out of the centre. Most people agree that they are doing no harm even if they don't use them themselves. They are more handy to people who don't know an area.
    I ignore them in Manchester as I know all the areas very well, but looking at a town like Bristol (for example), there are about 200 areas under one title (Bristol Postal District) with many of the areas having just one or two pubs in them. Often such small areas are hard to find even on an Ordnance survey map and it's hard to tell which are close to each other. Compass points are not perfect as places can still be far apart - But it gives you 4 times the chance!!

I agree with Moby about taking maps if you plan to visit an area, but no use if you end up in a place without planning in advance (or if you havn't got a printer!)

This Space For Hire

The "City and County of Bristol" rather than a "town"... is an anomaly in the UK on this website as it has reverted to City and County status post Avon dissolvement after the creation of other counties like Cleveland etc under the local government reforms in the 1970's so suspect the postal element has overtook the physicality of Bristol as a City,

The postal area includes a fair few areas beyond the city boundaries that you couldn't/wouldn't never class as Bristol but still fall under it postal wise, hence the low numbers in these areas as the pubs are affiliated to the villages they serve rather than mass city suburbs, given my OCD I'm happy generally with how they all sit so don't let RobCamra start meddling....

For example you will end up in the small Somerset town Blackthorn lives in that is still classed as Bristol on here but also falls under Somerset if you viewed Somerset County. If you tried to class Backwell as Bristol South for example you would be laughed out of any pub in Backwell or South Bristol as it purely isn't in Bristol that's why Dave has built in the fact that many of the adjoining villages beyond Bristol City boundaries and in many other counties should appear in the correct county locations but are also classed under postal locations. I've found this recently around the area East of Swindon which has seen me stray into Oxfordshire without knowing it.

Re Nottingham and Al's example I'd like to see any of us cover 2 miles in 9 minutes, according to John Mcgraw's review, and still think we are in a central location as it clearly isn't in any "town" or "city" but a neighbouring suburb location.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 05-02-2016 at 00:25.

Lightbulb "Ein bißchen Frieden"

"Sing with me my song of peace"

http://youtu.be/Ctu_TKV12LY
    Last edited by hondo; 05-02-2016 at 09:46.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    The "City and County of Bristol" rather than a "town"... is an anomaly in the UK on this website as it has reverted to City and County status post Avon dissolvement after the creation of other counties like Cleveland etc under the local government reforms in the 1970's so suspect the postal element has overtook the physicality of Bristol as a City,
    I suspected that was the case when I took a quick look at Bristol the other day. Wales is a problem area with Dyfed disappearing, the three Glamorgans merged into one and Gwynedd remaining only as what looks like the old Meirionnydd to me. That bloke who does the JDW list got round it by saying this :-

sorry, no complaints please about the county names, they are the ones I know!
    Can't argue with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Wales is a problem area with Dyfed disappearing, the three Glamorgans merged into one and Gwynedd remaining only as what looks like the old Meirionnydd to me.
    Wales is a total shambles. They change County names and areas quicker than some pubs will change your beer! A guy in my local said he used to live in Denbighshire, then he lived in Clwyd and now he lives in Wrexham "And I still live in the same house!!"

The Post Office don't help. Some pubs 30 miles into Wales have English (Shropshire) addresses and some Shropshire pubs have Welsh (Wrexham) addresses.

Camra form their own Welsh "counties" like North-East Wales and North-West Wales!

Slightly off the compass point but it's all about trying to find where we are (even when sober!).

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post

Re Nottingham and Al's example I'd like to see any of us cover 2 miles in 9 minutes, according to John Mcgraw's review, and still think we are in a central location as it clearly isn't in any "town" or "city" but a neighbouring suburb location.
    The 9 minutes is how long it takes Google to walk the 0.6 miles from Al's example to Nottingham centre (he must be a bit tired as it took him 11 minutes today! )
    The 2 miles is when Al refers to the suburb of Wolloton (actually 2.9 miles to the nearest pub!)

I will now ask Scotty to beam me up to another thread before I win another Geek badge!