At one time pub Landlords appeared to be ex Forces NCOs ,Officers a ex Coppers. Men on of local repute being known as one not to be messed with also made up the numbers. Sometimes operating on the wrong side of the law they made a name for themselves of being mad ,bad or dangerous to cross. They were not hampered by racial laws, political correctness gone mad, nanny state interfereance. nosey company accountants and collectors for the music licence.

Big business has changed the plan.On some bars you will find the business card holder informing you the Landlord has a degree in some field or other to do with book keeping.They all look under 25 years of age and have little knowlege of handling trouble other than ring for the Police while staff and customers are assulted and the premises demolished.Agreed not all Land lords are of this type but I would say they are becoming the magority.I find it common to see a couple of teenage girls serving behind the bar on Fri/ Sat nights with no sign of a manager/ landlord.

I cannot think of any of the local landlords as being eccentric apart from the owners of a local hotel. Their behaviour has been likened to the Faultys in Faulty Towers. I was once asked to leave by "Mrs Faulty" after questioning the quality of a pint and no refund offered.

Sorry about the spelling...the checker is out to breakfast again.