Ads not shown when logged in
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Pub Photography - A Risky Business?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    A couple of weeks ago in a more quieter part of Warwick i was just in the process of taking my final pub photo of the day,when a chap walked passed and casually remarked if i had read the notice on the nearby lamppost.I told him i had not, and to humour the man thought i would give the paper a quick perusal, which must admit was all Greek to me.At this point i felt a tap on my shoulder and after turning round was confronted by a large,rotund sort of fellow who asked if i was from the council and demanding answers.It was not long before i was surrounded by quite a few irate residents bombarding me with questions creating a slightly intimidating atmosphere.I explained the situation about pub photos,and even my broad Lancashire accent did not deter them.However my day was saved when i produced my trusty pubs galore printer map,and very soon the conversation turned to the decline of the British pub.A couple of the group offered there apologies,and at this point handed them a couple of PG business cards and made a hasty retreat in the direction of Warwick Castle.

It would be a definite advantage for any new would be snappers to attend a risk assessment course.
    Yikes, what a hair raising tale. I like the idea of a risk assesment course, how about a combat and assault course as well?

Default "I’m a Photographer, Not a Terrorist"

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Wikipedia's explanation of the law about photography in public places seems clear enough to me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law : "In general, under the law of the United Kingdom one cannot prevent photography of private property from a public place, and in general the right to take photographs on private land upon which permission has been obtained is similarly unrestricted" .

So my interpretation is that the pub car park is private property so you could legitimately be asked not to take photographs from there but the pavement is public land so the publican has no legal means to stop you - unless you're up a big stepladder and photographing the bedrooms with a long range lens .
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 16-05-2012 at 21:31.
    Waes hael!

I had just taken 2 or 3 photos of Arnold's Bar & Grill to add to the site before going in to have a drink. After being served, a 2nd man appeared from the back room, marched over to me and said "CAN I HELP YOU?" in a much louder voice than someone wanting to serve me. I said, "No thanks, I've been served," and took a sip of my drink. He said, "BUT YOU'VE BEEN TAKIN' PHOTOS." I remembered my rights from previous replies to this thread and said, "Yes, I always do," and carried on drinking. He stared at me for a minute or two then went back into his room. I wondered what it was all about until the evening when I was adding the pub to PuG. As I googled the pub, I came across this link.

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/112...and-grill.aspx

He obviously thought I was another reporter after a story or someone coming to check on the music.

(Am I still a chicken Will? Yes! Cluck! Cluck!)
    Last edited by AlanH; 25-05-2012 at 16:47.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    "BUT YOU'VE BEEN TAKIN' PHOTOS." I remembered my rights from previous replies to this thread and said, "Yes, I always do," and carried on drinking. He stared at me for a minute or two then went back into his room....He obviously thought I was another reporter after a story or someone coming to check on the music.
    Got to admire your cool there, Alan. I don't suppose the thought of paying a large wedge, to some shyster, did much to improve his mood.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Now it is banned from playing music it sounds like it could be my kind of place . grabs pint & Slinks off to grumpy cornes

Not pub photo related, but a recently revamped precint near here got a lot of bad publicty, and are very touchy about photos, but as it is public space nothing they can do about it
    I drink to make others more interesting

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Just spotted this latest news

man has been shot dead and three other people have been injured in a shooting in a pub in Manchester.

Greater Manchester Police said several shots were fired in the Cotton Tree Inn in Droylsden at about 23:50 BST on Friday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-18217129

Guess most would avoid taking photo in next few days
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Just spotted this latest news

man has been shot dead and three other people have been injured in a shooting in a pub in Manchester.

Greater Manchester Police said several shots were fired in the Cotton Tree Inn in Droylsden at about 23:50 BST on Friday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-18217129

Guess most would avoid taking photo in next few days
    I shall be going past the Cotton Tree this evening. It's just along the road from where the mother in law lives.

I've called in a few times over the years.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'm just wondering what the procedure is when discovering a pub has been converted to a children's nursery? I found myself in this situation on Monday, with The Royal Foresters in Cinderford. Littledean Hill Road is quite a long road, so I had to ask directions to the aforementioned pub. I had my camera around my neck and had previously taken a few landscape shots along the way. I found the former pub, but had to wait until it was less cloudy to take photos. I have to admit that I felt a little uneasy waiting around in these circumstances. I didn't encounter any problems, but I'm just wondering what the right thing would have been, if I had have been approached by an irate nursery assistant?

I have taken numerous photos of old pubs that are now nurseries and so far no problems.I think though you would have to be a little careful if children were actually playing in the nursery grounds.Have found a similar problem with pubs that are situated next to a school playground,and it is playtime.Usually I either come back later when they have gone back in school or walk a distance away and photo a side view of the pub,making sure there are no children in the shot.