Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Photography - A Risky Business?

The other peril that I didn't mention is that I keep an eye out for a discreetly hidden car clamping sign. I don't go into every pub I photograph and therefore they would regard me as a fair target because I'm not a customer.

As I said at the start, I had photographed over 400 pubs before my first confrontation although I feel less comfortable since the smoking ban forced people to congregate around the front door.

Maybe it's an 'occupational' hazard. I've never met the legendary John McGraw but he must have had more hairy encounters than everyone else and I would envisage he has a wonky nose like a veteran centre half!

Let's be careful out there....
    Waes hael!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I just tell them to mind their own business, and if they have an issue, they can find me on PG under the name of Andy Ven
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I just tell them to mind their own business, and if they have an issue, they can find me on PG under the name of Andy Ven
    They would probably say that didn't expect Andy Ven to look like such a douche bag
    Waes hael!

I've never had anything like Roger's experience, although I've had a few funny looks. I've taken a few interior photos of pubs and a I generally ask permission first, and usually early in the session (i.e. 1100 to 1200). I didn't ask in the Coal Hole because it was full of tourists and people take pictures all the time. I was in pub a little while ago, in which I had taken a few shots with the barman's permission, I was making some notes when the landord came up to me and asked me what I was doing. I told him the truth (pub website, free publicity) and he said he was concerned because the pub had recently gone into administration. Obviously I immediately docked his pub 10 pints for going into administration! But he was mollified by my explanation, and offfered to show me around. He clearly thought that I was a creditor sizing up the assets! I think my general rule is that I don't take a shot if it includes people,

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    my general rule is that I don't take a shot if it includes people,
    I just posted a couple of photo's of the interior of the Baum on PuG and I couldn't get Chris the barman OUT of the shot, he wanted to be in it, so he is.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    They would probably say that didn't expect Andy Ven to look like such a douche bag
    Wink

On a serious note - i have only revceived jokes and welcomes when people see i am taking a photo - one publican said it was a pity it was a dull day as it would have looked better in the sun - i said, 'same about the beer, mate?'

Saying that, there have been a couple of places i have not got the camera phone out for, as the smoking crowd looked a bit dodgy

Its more the taking of notes that i have had a few piss taking comments - not from the gaffers that i recall, just other punters.
    MILD:

I like looking at photos of my local area even from as recent as 20 years back because things change and we can forget what the 70s, 80s and 90s looked like. My efforts now are to allow me to look back on in 20 and 30 years, especially as pubs are closing and being demolished all the time. However, I can understand the piss taking. It's an OCD activity for anoraks like us who like order or for people with a fascination for tradition, architecture, heritage and social gatherings .... oh, and decent ale.

I'd go along with Rex as well. Some pubs attract visitors from a distance (even in the not particularly touristy parts of Dudley), because of what they are or where they are, and the publicans are quite relaxed about photos because they are used to it.

Last Sunday's experience though was at at local pub for local people
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    It's an OCD activity for anoraks like us
    I used to have CDO.

It's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but with the letters in the correct alphabetical order. LIKE THEY BLOODY WELL SHOULD BE!!!!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

""Its more the taking of notes that i have had a few piss taking comments - not from the gaffers that i recall, just other punters." Quote Soup Dragon.

I normally enter carrying a copy of the Daily Mail which has me taped as a right wing, brain damaged bovver boy of old. As most people know the mentally unstable are best left alone so I am left in piece to do my crossword. At the same time I can write notes in the margins about the pub. Only once has a customer questioned me........." Err Mate have you got the answer to 13 down yet ? ".
    Because on most of my visits I was accompanied by the mrs I believe she helped when it came to taking photos. We just looked a harmless pair of halfwits.

I've become a speed user of predictive text on my mobile and I type all of my notes into it so nobody has a clue what I'm doing.

When I used to work the jump I've had people sit at the bar with a little book scribbling away. It was in the days before I knew about pub reviewing so I didn't have a clue what they were doing. Being Hampstead I assumed they were making notes for a book or they were just mad old eccentrics logging their thoughts.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES