Ads not shown when logged in
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Photography - A Risky Business?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Wow I go out for lunch and find all these in the mail box, I was preparing to write a "Calm down Dear" message but it looks like even that bit has passed

As I understand it with the web cameras it is generally a freedom of information thing, which with is a godawful nightmare, and a good reason not to store data . It is a constant consideration with this site, and one of the reasons we try to keep the audit trails so well and so visible (although we do regard it as just good practice as well).

As to the copyright stuff I believe the issues start coming in if you make a profit out of the image, profiting off a likeness, so as Farway has commented I can only imagine what a nightmare doing portrait work is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    What an absorbing past time pub photography is turning out to be! A lot of my conversation these days seems to revolve around the pubs I've photographed, I'm truly becoming a "pub bore" I have come across an issue to do with the subject though. What is the general etiquette when photographing a pub's beer garden? Do you need permission for this?
    What are you going to do when you've populated Cheltenham? (I only started on a mission to fill in the photo gaps in Walsall)
    Waes hael!

That is an excellent question, it does concern me. I might take the odd diversion into other parts of Gloucestershire that are lacking in photos. I do hope to carry on with it though, it's one of the most interesting projects that I've done.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Stroud needs a helping hand!

There are things we take for granted today but when we look back at street views etc, including pubs, from 10, 20 years ago it's fascinating how things move on and change but do so incrementally so we don't really notice.

Keep it up, LG. Besides being a very useful reference source for now I hope you'll look back at these photos one day and appreciate that you've created a record for the archives that might not otherwise be available.
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Stroud needs a helping hand!
    Ah yes Stroud, I know it well nice town. Think I'll take my camera with me, the next time I visit.

I agree that what we are doing is providing a fasinating record for future generations to marvel at (or recoil at in some cases!). I wish I had taken more photos of pubs several years back, when I was out and about with the camera.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I agree that what we are doing is providing a fasinating record for future generations to marvel at (or recoil at in some cases!). I wish I had taken more photos of pubs several years back, when I was out and about with the camera.
    So true, many a time I visited to take photos of a church . gravestones [genealogy] but ignored the pubs, now no longer, any pub is fair game to me & camera, just this weekend I was on Dart river cruise, was I looking for seals & otters?, Well sort of, but the Floating Bridge Inn was one of the grab shots in passing

To quote a T shirt I have seen somewhere " I am a photographer NOT a terrorist ".

There are far to many busy bodies about thinking they have "rights" which do not exist. Law is a difficult subject which even the Police appear to be ignorant of but lets not go down that road.
    So many companies such as MacDonalds spend millions promoting a brand that is instantly recognizable. The brave souls who venture forth with only a camera and a strange desire to photograph pubs are providing a free publicity service to these ungrateful landlords. It makes you wonder what they may be trying to hide and from whom. Pubs , Inns and Hotels have been a staple for photographers since the invention of the portable camera. Picture books of local history are full of such photos. I love'em. Bearded old codgers with hobnail boots sitting outside rundown pubs now known for expensive food and ale.
    If you feel nervous buy a good zoom lens or a good pair of running shoes but keep on snapping. Sod the lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    If you feel nervous buy a good zoom lens or a good pair of running shoes but keep on snapping. Sod the lot of them.
    Like it!

I wonder if anyone went chasing after Google Streetview cars waving their fists?
    Waes hael!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Like it!

I wonder if anyone went chasing after Google Streetview cars waving their fists?
    I doubt any one really noticed them, just a plain car or van with a "thingy" going round on the roof. As it was all new at the time and the Daily Wail had not clocked what was going on until after the event there was no hornets' nest to stir up