Ads not shown when logged in
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Photography - A Risky Business?

Some excellent recommendations and reviews - Mr Trench, Ms Pint and Mr Ven. Now that's my kind of church.

I'm inspired to start a new thread....
    Waes hael!

Lady Grey , I like your avatar. I use the same on a B'ham history forum. A plaque on the wall of a local pub supplied my photo. Some one commented that it looked like a goblins house. Plenty of the plaques survive in Herefordshire.

Thank you for that, the West Country Plaques are such an iconic feature of pubs in our respective locations, many of them survive in Cheltenham. I'm pleased that some of our local pubs that have closed and become different businesses, still have the plaque in situ. Unfortunatley, some of the plaques have been stolen during redevelopment, I wish people wouldn't do this, they are part of our heritege.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Thanks I will post those next week and let you know when they are sent.
    The cards arrived this morning - fantastic.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I met one today, of the "why are you taking a photo of my pub" type. It's private property, need permission, yawn, yawn. Anyway, I told him in no uncertain terms how it is, and also let him know that thanks to his boring tirade, he now has one less customer.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35603/

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I met one today, of the "why are you taking a photo of my pub" type. It's private property, need permission, yawn, yawn. Anyway, I told him in no uncertain terms how it is, and also let him know that thanks to his boring tirade, he now has one less customer.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35603/
    Nice one, it is strange that some folk feel they have right of censorship over what is legal from a public viewpoint, such as a pavement opposite a pub

Maybe point them to Google Streetview if they really have loads of money & are looking for a legal fight?

Spritzer Swallower AdrianPatrick's Avatar

While the owner of the premises has the legal right to refuse permission to allow even external photographs being taken, it is amazingly short sighted to do so in the modern age. ...Unless they have something to hide of course.

With social networking and Google maps currently changing the lives and habits of smartphone users, the greater the the web presence - especially through the spread of images - the more prominence is given to their business over their competition.

Far from objecting, landlords ought to be embracing and encouraging such practice!

I take photos in and around pubs all of the time as I illustrate pub chalkboards and keep a record of my work, and I often sense nervousness from the client, and sometimes customers too.

I feel it's mainly due to being loss of control over the venue's public image. But in this age, those that don't encourage photos, reviews, facebook 'check-ins' etc, are the venues that will become boarded up over the coming years!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPatrick View Post
    While the owner of the premises has the legal right to refuse permission to allow even external photographs being taken, it is amazingly short sighted to do so in the modern age. ...Unless they have something to hide of course.
    Out of interest, which bit of statute law allows you to refuse permission to take photographs of the outside of your premises? Indeed the implication is therefore that permission must be sought in the first place.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPatrick View Post

With social networking and Google maps currently changing the lives and habits of smartphone users, the greater the the web presence - especially through the spread of images - the more prominence is given to their business over their competition.

Far from objecting, landlords ought to be embracing and encouraging such practice!

I take photos in and around pubs all of the time as I illustrate pub chalkboards and keep a record of my work, and I often sense nervousness from the client, and sometimes customers too.

I feel it's mainly due to being loss of control over the venue's public image. But in this age, those that don't encourage photos, reviews, facebook 'check-ins' etc, are the venues that will become boarded up over the coming years!
    Hi Adrian,

I have just posted in your other thread, but this seemed a more appropriate place to welcome you to Pubs Galore. Myself and Dave M are the admins of the site, so if you have any problems, queries or suggestions for improvement do please feel free to tell us.

Hope you enjoy your stay.