Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Photography - A Risky Business?

Last week whilst I was sitting in the Spoons one quiet afternoon a large group of very nice looking woman came in & sat at the large table in the middle of the bar so there was only them & me. When I looked up from reading my paper I noticed they were all comparing nice frilly Red & Black lacy underwear & Bras & Knickers I was very nearly tempted to sneak a few pictures in. Oh thats underwear they had just brought not what they were wearing. Mind you the way they were dressed did not leave much to the imagination.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I rarely take interiors, but if pub is fairly empty and I consider interior has some merit from a photography view point, I ask the publican, and I try & avoid anyone drinking

So far all publicans I asked have been more than happy for me to photograph inside, I always mention I will be uploading to PuG so maybe it helps. Some even volunteer extra information and a few offer to show me round, one even bought me drink [but it was an Open Day, I suspect they thought I was real "press"]

But as I look like a harmless old git I could assume they may be humouring me until the ambulance & straight jacket arrives

If no one is about then snap it but asking don't cost anything and humour can get you a long way.. An interior shot should be just that and not a line up of boozy customers. I do not use flash, just stick it on the table and let the gizmos sort out the exposure.
    The Publicans probably have me slated like Farway, a candidate for care in the community and thankfully only armed with a camera and not a Japanese sword or a shotgun.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

All this makes me feel a little nervous about taking photos as I have not asked about exterior shots and rarely for interior ones - only if there are only a few in and I am being looked at by the publican. These days of camera photos all over, I accepted it as probably the norm that photos get taken in pubs these days, so have never worried if I want to take a shot of a bar or a range of pumps etc. My old digital camera needs to be set on night setting inside for me to even get a decent shot, so I probably look ever so conspicuous taking my shots as I am usually cursing the camera while taking the photos.

If entering an area known to be perhaps a little troublesome there is nothing wrong in doing the sensible thing and taking along a friend or two as back up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armyphoto.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	410

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    If entering an area known to be perhaps a little troublesome there is nothing wrong in doing the sensible thing and taking along a friend or two as back up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armyphoto.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	410
    There are some places I wouldn't photograph if I had Robocop, the Terminator and the entire US Pacific Fleet alongside me.

Hi there, I'm new to Pubs Galore and this forum. I had a slightly unnerving experience with photographing a pub last week. I was taking some exterior shots of the pub - from across the road and from the pavement. I wanted to take some interior shots, so I waited for opening time, I went to the bar and ordered a drink. The Barmaid asked me why I had been taking pictures of the pub, To be honest I was flummoxed because I've not been doing this very long. I eventually managed to say that I was photographing the pub because so many are closing these days. She seemed suspicious of my motives.
    I took my courage in my hands and asked if I could photograph the interior, she refused, saying that the pub didn't belong to her. I quickly finished my drink and left.
    The thing is, these people should be grateful, we are doing them a favour.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Welcome to Pubs Galore Lady Grey. We do indeed live in suspicious times when it seems everyone is deemed to have an ulterior motive for what we feel is perfectly normal behaviour. You could mention that you are collecting photos and information for a website that promotes pubs, but I'd not be surprised if that just leads to more suspicion. Some of my photos aren't particularly good as I've just managed a quick snap when there are no smokers or outside drinkers around, a 'drive by shooting' one might say. Interior shots are really about judging the sort of place you are in, and how many people are around. I always think it's rude to include people in interior shots and I hate it myself when someone else does it.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Glass Half Full

Could be paranoia, or could be justified.. From time to time the brewery send people out to photograph our place.. sometimes it's for signage companies, sometimes for car park companies... but one day it could be the estate agent.

Default Perks of the job

Over my two and a half years snapping I have not been involved in any major incidents apart from a brief altercation with a Bury Taxi driver accusing me of taking a photo of his licence plate.However a couple of weeks ago while trudging around Huddersfield on a wet Tuesday afternoon had a very interesting experience.
    I was just about to take my next photo of a town centre pub I noticed in the corner of my eye, to the right of the pub a young lady leaning out of an upstairs window waving her arms frantically and yelling " Mr take me".She then proceeded to lift her top to reveal her mild and bitter.I then swiftly adjusted my camera to full zoom and duly obliged the young ladies request.
    All of a sudden the day seemed to brighten up

Happy Snapping