Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: more help reviewing pubs

This Space For Hire

Default more help reviewing pubs

I went into a a beer and cider pub that I rate highly.I had a pint of Mosiac and had a chat for a couple of minutes with the barman about new hops even though the pub was busy.He served a young girl next to me with 3 pints of beer then she asked what wine they had.White or rose in a box in the fridge he said.In a box she replied.YES in a box in the fridge he said raising his voice.He then gave her a glass of white in a tumbler.Raising his voice was bad manners,if he said to me bitter or lager mate that's it without telling me who made it would offend me.Then putting it in shit glass would offend me.It happened to someone else. Should I rate it lower or ignore how other people are treated .

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I went into a a beer and cider pub that I rate highly.I had a pint of Mosiac and had a chat for a couple of minutes with the barman about new hops even though the pub was busy.He served a young girl next to me with 3 pints of beer then she asked what wine they had.White or rose in a box in the fridge he said.In a box she replied.YES in a box in the fridge he said raising his voice.He then gave her a glass of white in a tumbler.Raising his voice was bad manners,if he said to me bitter or lager mate that's it without telling me who made it would offend me.Then putting it in shit glass would offend me.It happened to someone else. Should I rate it lower or ignore how other people are treated .
    Surely only you can decide that? You obviously weren't happy about the barman's attitude, so I suspect the answer may be Yes.
    The marks are totally subjective as the reviewers on this site, let alone the general public have very different priorities. I wonder how many members of the general public would agree with the scores for small places packed with ale or cider enthusiasts like the Southampton or the Harp. I think they are great, but I know lots of people that would be horrified by them!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

As Aqualung has said this is a personal decision.From my point of view,pub ambiance is very important and I would always mention a warm welcome,friendly and efficient service,chatty guv'nor,banter with the locals etc.On the negative side if I encountered real issues with bar service,I would make a general comment rather than rant about rudeness.I would then leave a lower rating than would have been the case if the conduct behind the bar had been more pleasant.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I'll stay on me own

I would definitely mention it. Not everyone reading the review is going to be a real ale drinker, and might well be interested in the publican’s selection of wine and his attitude to stocking it.

Even though I don’t drink wine in pubs myself, I would still mention something about it if it was exceptionally good (e.g.; a large range available by the glass) or bad (e.g.; Liebfraumilch on tap!).

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    I would definitely mention it. Not everyone reading the review is going to be a real ale drinker, and might well be interested in the publican’s selection of wine and his attitude to stocking it.

Even though I don’t drink wine in pubs myself, I would still mention something about it if it was exceptionally good (e.g.; a large range available by the glass) or bad (e.g.; Liebfraumilch on tap!).
    Not a wine drinker, but I'm with Blackthorn on this. The pub reviews are for general public, so some will look for, select any or all, best pint of Foster's, large car park, dog / child friendly, hot food etc. The last thing a lot worry about is real ale or cider

So yes I would mention staff attitudes, emphasising good and, as BF says, general comment about rudeness or poor service
    I drink to make others more interesting

Raising his voice was bad manners,if he said to me bitter or lager mate that's it without telling me who made it would offend me.Then putting it in shit glass would offend me.It happened to someone else. Should I rate it lower or ignore how other people are treated .
    How you see other people being treated can be a good indication of how you, or anyone else, might have been treated (if you hadn't made a connection over the subject of hops), or could possibly be treated on a future visit. Part of good customer service is being aware of how other people see your service to others. For example, he chatted with you about hops for a couple of minutes even though it was busy. How did that make other customers feel? Did they appreciate his knowledge and his willingness to discuss it with you, or were they seething at being kept waiting another two minutes?
    Come On You Hatters!

I would mention it as it has bothered you enough to ask the question.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire

Thanks for the feedback.It did bother me.If I re-review the pub I will alter my rating.cheers john