Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Photography - A Risky Business?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I doubt any one really noticed them, just a plain car or van with a "thingy" going round on the roof. As it was all new at the time and the Daily Wail had not clocked what was going on until after the event there was no hornets' nest to stir up
    They are fairly visible and heavily branded, I saw them at least once going round Bristol.

You may be right about no one knowing what they were though, as I work closely with that stuff it is hard to know how much others are aware of.

Actually, having just checked, maybe they are not as heavily branded as I was thinking:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fake%20Google%20Street%20View%20car%20by%20F.A.T.%20Lab%20Berlin%20germany.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	544

A couple of weeks ago in a more quieter part of Warwick i was just in the process of taking my final pub photo of the day,when a chap walked passed and casually remarked if i had read the notice on the nearby lamppost.I told him i had not, and to humour the man thought i would give the paper a quick perusal, which must admit was all Greek to me.At this point i felt a tap on my shoulder and after turning round was confronted by a large,rotund sort of fellow who asked if i was from the council and demanding answers.It was not long before i was surrounded by quite a few irate residents bombarding me with questions creating a slightly intimidating atmosphere.I explained the situation about pub photos,and even my broad Lancashire accent did not deter them.However my day was saved when i produced my trusty pubs galore printer map,and very soon the conversation turned to the decline of the British pub.A couple of the group offered there apologies,and at this point handed them a couple of PG business cards and made a hasty retreat in the direction of Warwick Castle.

It would be a definite advantage for any new would be snappers to attend a risk assessment course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    A couple of weeks ago in a more quieter part of Warwick i was just in the process of taking my final pub photo of the day,when a chap walked passed and casually remarked if i had read the notice on the nearby lamppost.I told him i had not, and to humour the man thought i would give the paper a quick perusal, which must admit was all Greek to me.At this point i felt a tap on my shoulder and after turning round was confronted by a large,rotund sort of fellow who asked if i was from the council and demanding answers.It was not long before i was surrounded by quite a few irate residents bombarding me with questions creating a slightly intimidating atmosphere.I explained the situation about pub photos,and even my broad Lancashire accent did not deter them.However my day was saved when i produced my trusty pubs galore printer map,and very soon the conversation turned to the decline of the British pub.A couple of the group offered there apologies,and at this point handed them a couple of PG business cards and made a hasty retreat in the direction of Warwick Castle.
    So what did the sign on the lamppost say?

Although i only read halfway down the notice,according to the local residents there is a chance of the pub being demolished.

Ah, they thought you were from the Council's Planning Department! Dodgy characters all of them - unlike at least one Building Control official I know - so I don't see how you could have been mistaken for one. It could have been worse - they might have mistaken you for a developer!!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Ah, they thought you were from the Council's Planning Department! Dodgy characters all of them - unlike at least one Building Control official I know - so I don't see how you could have been mistaken for one. It could have been worse - they might have mistaken you for a developer!!
    Yep, we don't fanny around for weeks, I could've declared it a Dangerous Structure and had it demolished there and then!

Mm.....making friends wherever he goes.

I always use a mobile phone for taking pub pictures so they can guess I'm not a developer or from the council. If anyone approaches, I just put it up to my ear, start talking away and walk off.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    If anyone approaches, I just put it up to my ear, start talking away and walk off.
    Chicken!
    Come On You Hatters!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

A touch related to this thread, but to do with pub photos. When out and about I will tend to photograph pubs and later add them to the site. However, if my photo offers nothing new, or is identical more or less to another I won't bother. Lately I have noticed photos being added and accepted that add nothing new, doesn't this clutter up the site and add no new information?

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    A touch related to this thread, but to do with pub photos. When out and about I will tend to photograph pubs and later add them to the site. However, if my photo offers nothing new, or is identical more or less to another I won't bother. Lately I have noticed photos being added and accepted that add nothing new, doesn't this clutter up the site and add no new information?
    Not necessarily - as they are date stamped it tells people how the pub last looked when one of us pottered past. And it also means we aren't stuck with a static photo that's impossible to change *thinks back to BITE*

It also means that anyone can 'have a go' at submitting pictures, which is important to get more contributors onto the site; we don't want to make it look like a closed shop. However where there are 10+ photos it might be useful to try and grade them so the 'better' ones pop up more often. But I think we've had this conversation before and I know what the answer will be!