Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub Photography - A Risky Business?

Glass Half Full

I don't like people taking photos and making notes - it doesn't bother me, but I just don't like it - but having never been a train spotter, plane spotter, or beer spotter, I probably can't understand - could be caused by me being younger than I should be to be a publican.

Nobody should be made to feel threatened over something as petty as a pub photo though - it's no big deal, and life goes on.. must be some pretty small minded people out there.

It is not only train spotters,pub spotters etc who scribble notes and take photographs which are in the main harmless.
    The ones that bother me with a writing pad, pen and camera are those that peer into rubbish bins, put tickets on windscreens and the rest of the Town Hall mafia. They can really cause you some grief.
    If I take a photo and pen a few words then rest assured you will not get a letter demanding money with nicely phrased legal menaces from me. ( However all donations will be gratefully received and drank with all due respect).

As a snapper myself I've had the odd run-in, but these are nearly always at the rougher places and nearly always from the smokers outside.

Usually, I get some banter as the locals can see you from outside and if I take a pic before entering I get some gyp - the Duke of Wellington in Lichfield last month for example. It usually is just a good laugh and in this case I got a free slice of pork pie

I guess it's a bit easier for me to be discrete as I use a neat little digital camera that takes a photo almost as good as a 'proper' one IMO. I can whip it out, snap away and be off within 30 seconds...

I'll stay on me own

I have took photos of about 8 thousand pubs and have had a drink in every pub i have photographed,i have only had one real problem which was in Horwich (greater Manchester ) when i got followed down the main shopping street and a small tatooed bloke started shouting at me and asking why i had took a photo of his pub. His words: There are some dodgy goings on in this pub what are you up to and are you from the council. I replied i am on a pub crawl and showed him my rough book with about 700 pubs in it this made him happy and he walked off.

withdrawn once enlightened.
    Last edited by Strongers; 29-08-2010 at 20:58.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Pub photos can bring rewards

This week I popped into my local, to find they have a new web site

Came home, looked it up, and found they have ripped off my copyright pictures, both from PuG & the toothy one, even worse the PuG one still has the PuG watermark on it, which was bit of a give away

http://www.thegreendragonpub.co.uk/home

Alerted Conrad, then spoke to landlady, who was mortified, seems web site was done by a customer for a pint of Fosters

Upshot is, I will provide her with legit photos on a cd in exchange for a pint, or maybe two of Havant Started

The web builder was unfortunate in that it is my local & I spotted it

I just wonder how many of our pictures may have been ripped off without our knowledge ?

Personally if I post a picture on the web I expect it to be used freely by others at sometime, but would just like a polite ask before using it, I have Church pictures on a Family History site, and to be fair most ask for permission to use them, including a Vicar for a wedding service

Former Pubs Galore Coder

We have had a couple of incidents where people actually did bandwidth theft and just used the pictures straight off our site, that is always good for a laugh and has led to us displaying the wrong pictures on their page to amuse ourselves.

Another incident involved someone saying something along the lines of I have noticed that this person on Facebook is nicking all my pictures and they have taken a load of yours, what are you going to do about it. I suspect they weren't happy when we said nothing and were happy that the watermark was visible.

Far more positively though we have been contacted 3 times now to buy usage of the pictures, in each instance we have passed the person on, I think it is generally settled in good will or beer currency, but nice that there are principled people out there.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Far more positively though we have been contacted 3 times now to buy usage of the pictures, in each instance we have passed the person on, I think it is generally settled in good will or beer currency, but nice that there are principled people out there.

Ahh, this is an idea I like

maybe one for later time and wondering what to do next, but how about having some sort of note on PuG,, "If you want to use the pictures, please ask first"

The only time I copy photos found on the internet is when a fellow forum member ask a question that can only be answered by posting a photo. I did one on this forum recently.
    Giving a link if I think the website will give more information is also a choice. So many photo images can be gleaned from a Google search. The least you can do is give the name of the photographer.But all this would be for information only not for financial gain.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Ahh, this is an idea I like

maybe one for later time and wondering what to do next, but how about having some sort of note on PuG,, "If you want to use the pictures, please ask first"
    I have had it in mind to set up some sort of email the owner interface to request permission. As with all these you want the minimum risk of abusing the owner though. We have for a while now kept the original images and have the ability to mail them back out to the owner which is another toy I would like to add.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    The only time I copy photos found on the internet is when a fellow forum member ask a question that can only be answered by posting a photo. I did one on this forum recently.
    Giving a link if I think the website will give more information is also a choice. So many photo images can be gleaned from a Google search. The least you can do is give the name of the photographer.But all this would be for information only not for financial gain.
    Where I nick pictures, which clearly happens when messing on forums, I try to link back to the location I have ripped off so that they get the credit for their image.