Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 review count

Default 2015 review count

There were 9,774 reviews in 2015, slightly up on 2014 total of 9348. Hopefully will break the 10,000 barrier in 2016.

In other news, BITE had 9,378 reviews in 2015 - the first year we've had more despite the fact that BITE still gets at least 5 times the traffic that PuG does.

Thank you everyone for making PuG the dedicated pub site with the most up to date reviews.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

And many thanks to you Dave for making PuG such a great site.

Why is it that BITE gets 5x as much traffic,is it just first mover advantage ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

I'm sure people must look at it just to have a laugh, I know I do. I think the real answer is that many people have heard of Bite but not so many have heard of Pubs Galore and yes, that's probably because it's been around so long.

I suspect Google searches play a part in BITE's visibility. I just did a quick search of 'Pubs Croydon'. Trip Advisor was the top result. BITE was also on the first page of results. PuG was on page 3, below results from Yell, Zomato and MatchPint among others. A similar search using 'Swindon' instead of 'Croydon' saw PuG only appear on the 7th page of results.

I know nothing about how Google orders its results, but it seems that PuG is ranked disproportionately low and that the casual browser is less likely to stumble across the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    that's probably because it's been around so long.
    The odd thing is that in 2004 PuG was actually getting slightly more traffic than BITE.

At that time I made a decision that you had to be a registered member to leave a review, on BITE pretty much anyone could just send a review so it took off a lot more quickly as a review site. That then coincided with a Google update that judged sites essentially on how much content they had, so because BITE had lots more words it started ranking much better and things have never really changed since then.

My challenge for this year is to try to get more people to link to PuG, through Facebook, Twitter, other forums and anywhere else I can think of, going to have to do some more gimmicky things I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I know nothing about how Google orders its results, but it seems that PuG is ranked disproportionately low and that the casual browser is less likely to stumble across the site.
    As you say it does seem disproportionately low, my belief is that PuG still has a kind of Google 'grey flag' against it from something they did a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    A similar search using 'Swindon' instead of 'Croydon' saw PuG only appear on the 7th page of results.
    And yet if you try places like 'Strathclyde', 'Port Talbot' and 'Darwen' you'll find PuG ranked significantly better. As to why, I've no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    The odd thing is that in 2004 PuG was actually getting slightly more traffic than BITE.
    I didn't realise it had been around so long!
    Spoons invite punters to post on Facebook and / or Trip Advisor which seems odd. To me Trip Advisor is more a hotel review site.

Because its more dickhead friendly .
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

People review MaccyD's on TripAdvisor, like the poxy drive through here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...e_England.html

McDonald's has its uses if you are in a blinding hurry or just can't be bothered. But if you feel the need to write up your vist on TripeAvoider you might want to take a long, hard look at yourself.