Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eccles Pubs

Default Eccles Pubs

I am mystified why Eccles pubs with Eccles addresses are continually being removed as being part of or serving Eccles! We have just been through a long debate where pubs can be associated with several areas. The famous crawls such as the old 13 Holts crawl have always been known as Eccles crawls. The History of Eccles Pubs by the late Neil Richardson has always included the Eccles areas of Patricroft and Peel Green.
    What is wrong with a pub being listed as serving Patricroft and Eccles. I see the White Lion is "allowed" to have both titles. Is this where the legs get tired and you can't go any further?! Would it be better to put them in a larger area called Salford West?

Eccles and Patricroft are separate places. They have a railway station EACH. If you get off at Eccles it will take a hell of a long walk to get to Queens Arms
    which is outside Patricroft station.

The Star and The White Lion are on the Eccles/Patricroft borderline hence both areas. Sorry for being logical on this point.

Putting a pub, which is near enough on the platform at Patricroft station, in Eccles is at best misleading and at worst ( enter own expletive here).

Neil Richardson had to fill his book somehow and there weren't enough pubs in Eccles to do it. It was never intended to be a geographic guide!!
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 31-12-2015 at 15:13.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Eccles and Patricroft are separate places. They have a railway station EACH. If you get off at Eccles it will take a hell of a long walk to get to Queens Arms

The Star and The White Lion are on the Eccles/Patricroft borderline hence both areas. Sorry for being logical on this point.

Putting a pub which is near enough on the platform at Patricroft station in Eccles is at best misleading and at worst ( enter own expletive here).

Neil Richardson had to fill his book somehow and there weren't enough pubs in Eccles to do it. It was never intended to be a geographic guide!!
    They should have Patricroft AND Eccles. They are Eccles pubs with Eccles addresses. The fact that it says Patricroft tells you about its location but visitors to Eccles probably havn't heard of Patricroft and miss out on good Eccles pubs because they don't realise it is in crawling distance (20 min walk, 5mins by bus).

Eccles doesn't get any visitors, including you, which doesn't really add to your qualifications or knowledge of this area, whereas I used to
    work in Sale & Trafford Park & play out in Eccles and Patricroft.

That's why only 2 people have ever reviewed most of the pubs there.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 31-12-2015 at 15:58.

Eccles doesn't get any visitors, including you, which doesn't really add to your qualifications or knowledge of this area, whereas I used to
    work in Sale & play out in Eccles and Patricroft.

That's why only 2 people have ever reviewed most of the pubs there.
    I lived in Sale for 44 years and have been a very regular drinker in Eccles visiting every pub many times with regular (on foot) crawls from Grapes (Peel Green) to the Lamb.
    Then emigrated to Wales (after 1 year in ROBCamra branch at Ramsbottom). Not been back to Eccles for 5 years so can't review them but still chat about them with ex Eccles lads who own the Sun and the Ponsonby in Llangollen.

The last few "Area" articles show we all have different views on how near or far a pub should be to be added to an area and what that area should be called.
    I am even learning the Geography of places I had never heard of! May the debates continue.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I lived in Sale for 44 years
    Trumped!! I can only claim 22 years.

Still don't think that the Queens Arms on Patricroft station, should be in Eccles though.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I grew up in Sale, lived there from 1967 until 1982. We should form a Sale branch of PuG. Or rather, Old Salians.
    Last edited by Maldenman; 31-12-2015 at 17:51.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

Trumped!! I can only claim 22 years.

Still don't think that the Queens Arms on Patricroft station, should be in Eccles though.
    I think all this area talk causes more aggravation than good, if you want to visit somewhere you don't know just print off a PUG interactive map or google maps and mark up where you want to go, its easy and saves all the b******s.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    They should have Patricroft AND Eccles. They are Eccles pubs with Eccles addresses. The fact that it says Patricroft tells you about its location but visitors to Eccles probably havn't heard of Patricroft and miss out on good Eccles pubs because they don't realise it is in crawling distance (20 min walk, 5mins by bus).
    Fascinating debate, and I can see strength in the arguments put forward by both sides. Despite ROBCamra's impeccable logic, though, I am inclined to side with AlanH, simply because the postal address of the Queens Arms includes the word "Eccles". Certainly it appears to be within spitting distance of Patricroft station, but it seems a little illogical not to include it in the Eccles "served area" too.

I contribute to this thread with some trepidation, as I have never lived in Sale. (Is there an emoticon for "desperately seeking cover in face of incoming barrage of Lancastrian abuse?")
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    desperately seeking cover in face of incoming barrage of Lancastrian abuse?")
    Seems unlikely, especially as Sale is in Cheshire.

(It's in Greater Manchester now really, but they don't like it)