Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sympathy for the floods

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Originally the pubs were in the West Riding (which includes West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and a bit of North Yorkshire), but mostly in Tadcaster (Mr Humphrey owns a lot of the town), York and Leeds, with pubs spread about in between those places. Tadcaster is on the main road from Leeds to York (A64) but closer to York, BTW John Smiths brewery looked like it was on an island when I went past this morning.

It is hard to tell from the outside if a pub is a Sams house but there is a map on the unofficial site, http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php?action=page;id=2. Humphrey bought a lot of pubs further south, for example the well known historic ones in London plus others dotted about including two in Gloucester and two in Edinburgh! Some of the pubs came with a take over of Melbourn's of Stamford, no idea where the cluster in Manchester/Cheshire came from. The Kings Arms in York which always gets flooded is a Sam's house.
    I've just checked the Frank Baillie book and then they had two breweries . the Tadcaster one and the Rochdale one called the "Rochdale & Manor Brewery" (which they closed in 1974). That would explain those Greater Manchester ones including the one I've been to in Stockport. Melbourns is still listed as an independent brewer with houses in the areas of Gainsborough, Lincoln, Boune, Stamford, Oakham and Corby.
    I think I got my South Yorkshire notion from a quote by the brewery saying they were just a small brewery with tied houses in the mining areas of Yorkshire which I assumed meant South Yorkshire.
    I do remember the Melbourns change as I went on a brewery trip to Ruddles and stopped at one of the Stamford pubs. I get the impression that Melbourn may have then still owned or even still do own the pubs but with Sam Smith supplying the beers. I really wonder if they actually own all those old pubs in London. If they do they must be worth millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I do remember the Melbourns change as I went on a brewery trip to Ruddles and stopped at one of the Stamford pubs. I get the impression that Melbourn may have then still owned or even still do own the pubs but with Sam Smith supplying the beers..
    Does Sam still use the old Melbourne's brewery to make some kind of fruit beer? If so, has anyone tried 'em?
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Does Sam still use the old Melbourne's brewery to make some kind of fruit beer? If so, has anyone tried 'em?
    Tried them all.Lovely fruit beers on the sweet side rather than the sour Belgian style.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The Baum currently closed, no power, but not flooded thankfully.

The Regal Moon in the town centre didn't fare so well.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news...re-under-water
    The Regal Moon looks like its closed until the summer.Some wag on Scoopgen says when it re-opens it will be called the Regal Moon Under Water.Funny but not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Regal Moon looks like its closed until the summer.Some wag on Scoopgen says when it re-opens it will be called the Regal Moon Under Water.Funny but not funny.
    I was talking to Chris (the manager) last night.

He said they don't really know how long it's going to be.

Part of the pub floor was floorboards over concrete which is fine, but other areas are floorboards over wood over soil, so not that easy
    when the shit has sunk into the ground.

The architect paid his first visit yesterday and the initial repair estimate is £800,000.

I suspect when the JDW machine gets going it will work fast, but the earliest estimate is the end of March.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I was talking to Chris (the manager) last night.

He said they don't really know how long it's going to be.

Part of the pub floor was floorboards over concrete which is fine, but other areas are floorboards over wood over soil, so not that easy
    when the shit has sunk into the ground.

The architect paid his first visit yesterday and the initial repair estimate is £800,000.

I suspect when the JDW machine gets going it will work fast, but the earliest estimate is the end of March.
    Lets hope they had flood insurance to cover that bill.The Mark Addy Manchester a pub I have been in has no insurance and the owner has lost the 200,000 he has invested in the pub.That info on the Regal Moon came from Sue Barker who I don't know but think you may. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Lets hope they had flood insurance to cover that bill.The Mark Addy Manchester a pub I have been in has no insurance and the owner has lost the 200,000 he has invested in the pub.That info on the Regal Moon came from Sue Barker who I don't know but think you may. cheers
    JDW self insured for £250,000, so they'll lose that, the rest is covered. QOS Sue Barker? She's always round our house.

This Space For Hire

From The Stubbing Wharf - Hebden Bridge newsletter.

The Boxing Day floods

"It will stay in the memory for a long time, Boxing Day morning of 2015. It's supposed to be the busiest day in the festive calendar for The Stubbing. It all changed so quickly.

The river was trying to merge with the cellar, at first we thought we could control the problem by pumping out the water. However it was all in vain when the levels got so high, the electrics tripped and the pumps worked no more. We knew it was too late for the cellar and all the stock in it. All that lovely real ale unsettled by the mass of water, never to be consumed.

Our next problem was to try and stop the water entering the main part of the pub. Tables, barrels breeze blocks, we franticly found anything we could get hold of to keep the water out, it did not!

We had to go upstairs where we waited for hours, only able to watch the mass of water coming from the canal at the back and the river at the front. We have an external door on the higher level which backs on to the canal, it was inches from coming in but fortunately it did not.

The intensity of the water has meant that the main part of the pub will have to be striped out and put back, we will work with a designer and the construction company to get our pub back, and yes we will be back. Exactly when? This is still unknown but we are hoping to be open for the summer and with a slightly new look.

We have been so touched by how understanding and helpful everyone has been in the community not just to us, but to those so unfortunate to have damage to their homes and lost valued possessions, we would like to offer our deep condolences to all who have been affected.

We will keep you all updated to our progress via our Facebook and Twitter accounts, please ‘Like’ and ‘Follow’ to find out how the refurbishment is going."

Matt and Sally

Some good news at last after the Rochdale floods.

La Mancha reopens on Friday.

Target opening date for The Regal Moon (JD Wetherspoon) is 24/03/2016.