Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sympathy for the floods

It all sounds horrendous from down here via the news. After all the grief in the Lakes throughout the last month it seems like the whole of Northern England is now under siege and likely to remain so for at least the next week. There's been nothing unusual down here (apart from being very mild) nor on several visits to the West Midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It all sounds horrendous from down here via the news. After all the grief in the Lakes throughout the last month it seems like the whole of Northern England is now under siege and likely to remain so for at least the next week. There's been nothing unusual down here (apart from being very mild) nor on several visits to the West Midlands.
    Nah, as always it's all very localised. Absolutely horrible and devastating if you're caught in it but just an inconvenience for the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The Baum currently closed, no power, but not flooded thankfully.

The Regal Moon in the town centre didn't fare so well.

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news...re-under-water
    Not sure what he's saying but seems to think it is flooded.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Not sure what he's saying but seems to think it is flooded.
    The Baum is a bit higher up than the town centre area round the Regal Moon so should be OK for a bit. If the Baum floods the Regal Moon will be a long way under water - maybe it will be renamed the "Regal Moon under Water"!

The Baum is on top of a hill. If it floods the whole town will be under 50 foot of water.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Storm "Frank" seems to be the next potential problem. The current theory is that it will primarily affect the Lakes and SW Scotland but they won't confirm this until it is almost here.
    It was like a Spring day in London today if the sun hadn't been so low in the sky.

Another Spring like day down here today, Just hearing that the bridge in Tadcaster has collapsed. Can't really comment on it as I've never been there, I'm not even sure which part of Yorkshire it's in.

I'll stay on me own

Another Spring like day down here today, Just hearing that the bridge in Tadcaster has collapsed. Can't really comment on it as I've never been there, I'm not even sure which part of Yorkshire it's in.
    It is roughly between Leeds and York,

I got there on a coastliner bus to do a crawl there,there are three breweries in the town Samuel Smiths,John Smiths and a Bass brewery that i did not see when doing all open pubs in the town.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    It is roughly between Leeds and York,

I got there on a coastliner bus to do a crawl there,there are three breweries in the town Samuel Smiths,John Smiths and a Bass brewery that i did not see when doing all open pubs in the town.
    Thanks for that, I later heard it was in N Yorks. I had a notion from way back that most of Sam Smith's original estate was in South Yorkshire. I don't know if that was the case.

I had a notion from way back that most of Sam Smith's original estate was in South Yorkshire. I don't know if that was the case.
    Originally the pubs were in the West Riding (which includes West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and a bit of North Yorkshire), but mostly in Tadcaster (Mr Humphrey owns a lot of the town), York and Leeds, with pubs spread about in between those places. Tadcaster is on the main road from Leeds to York (A64) but closer to York, BTW John Smiths brewery looked like it was on an island when I went past this morning.

It is hard to tell from the outside if a pub is a Sams house but there is a map on the unofficial site, http://samsmiths.info/forum/index.php?action=page;id=2. Humphrey bought a lot of pubs further south, for example the well known historic ones in London plus others dotted about including two in Gloucester and two in Edinburgh! Some of the pubs came with a take over of Melbourn's of Stamford, no idea where the cluster in Manchester/Cheshire came from. The Kings Arms in York which always gets flooded is a Sam's house.