Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Hornsea Deletion

Hybrid View

This Space For Hire

Default Hornsea Deletion

The strange entry for Oasis Li at Hornsea 29054 does not exist. Station House and adjoining formerly derelict station buildings have been residential since 1980's and never licensed, at least since well before line closed in 1964! This entry should be removed.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    The strange entry for Oasis Li at Hornsea 29054 does not exist. Station House and adjoining formerly derelict station buildings have been residential since 1980's and never licensed, at least since well before line closed in 1964! This entry should be removed.
    I found references to "Edge(formerly Oasis two and for the grannies among us Waves)" and "OASIS two which is a tiny hut in the middle of no where" on the 'Clubs (Dance Music) and Music Bars' section of the Hornsea pages of the Knowhere Guide site, which make it sound like some kind of charming nightspot rather than a pub... but whatever it was I think the name must have been 'Oasis II' and not at the Station House.
    Last edited by rpadam; 27-12-2015 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I went there a couple of years ago to photograph it but found not much, Ian Lyon said in a review of 13th March 2007 "I found better places to eat & drink in Hornsea A NO NO" so I left it pending further information.

The station closed on 19th March 1964 according to Ken Hoole, NO-ONE argues with Ken Hoole on matters about the NER or its successors so that's a fact. Unfortunately Ken didn't tell us about any bars nearby.

I've closed it but I think deletion might be a step too far.

Just looked on Google earth, the old station and "Station House" are both very obvious on the junction of Parva St and Station Rd. Sands Lane looks like a misnomer. My guess is some sort of entertainment establishment existed in the "Station House" at some stage.
    Last edited by oldboots; 27-12-2015 at 19:28.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The station closed on 19th March 1964 according to Ken Hoole, NO-ONE argues with Ken Hoole on matters about the NER or its successors so that's a fact. Unfortunately Ken didn't tell us about any bars nearby.
    No-one except Wikipedia, which claims "The last passenger train ran on 19 October 1964. Goods traffic continued to use the line as far as Hornsea Bridge until 3 May 1965." The Disused Stations website gives the same dates (http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hornsea_town/).

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    No-one except Wikipedia, which claims "The last passenger train ran on 19 October 1964. Goods traffic continued to use the line as far as Hornsea Bridge until 3 May 1965." The Disused Stations website gives the same dates (http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hornsea_town/).
    I'll go with anything written by Ken over Wikipedia, although he doesn't specify Passenger or Goods traffic merely referring to "(the) branch.. closing from 19th October 1964" (Forgotten Railways, Volume 1 North East England" p28, David & Charles, Newton Abbot, second edition, 1984).

The disused-stations site says closed completely (passenger & goods) on 19th October 1964.

Hornsea Bridge station was south-west of the terminus of the Hornsea Branch (Hornsea Town) which was at Railway Street, Hornsea, the putative location of Oasis II.

Looks like Oasis II might have existed sometime between October 1964 and 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I'll go with anything written by Ken over Wikipedia, although he doesn't specify Passenger or Goods traffic merely referring to "(the) branch.. closing from 19th October 1964" (Forgotten Railways, Volume 1 North East England" p28, David & Charles, Newton Abbot, second edition, 1984).

The disused-stations site says closed completely (passenger & goods) on 19th October 1964.
    Quite agree - it's just your first version said 19th March 1964!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Quite agree - it's just your first version said 19th March 1964!
    Oh yeah so I did, whoops