Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Hey, hey, hey. As Krusty would say. The party-gyling fun has spread to Let's Brew Wednesday. And when I say fun, I mean mind-numbing tedium.

We've a thrice [check that's a real word] of Stouts, all magically spun from the same set of grains. If you've managed to stay conscious throuugh my party-gyling posts you'll have a good idea how Truman did that. Not magic, but still an impressive feat of mathematics. They didn't have claulators back in the 1890's. Even if they had, Truman wouldn't have let their brewers use them. Even in the 1970's their brewers had to perform all their calculations on a slate.

That Truman produced so many Stouts (in addition to these three there was also a Running Stout, Keeping Stout and Double Export Stout) is a sign of the popularity of such beers. And a testament to the commercial flexibility provided by party-gyling. A glance at any 19th-century brewery price list will confirm just how widespread a technique it was. How else could a small brewery have 15 different products?

I think that's me about done. There are some party-gyle logs singing like sirens. Excuse me while I go and smash into some rocks . . . . .