Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinno's 2016 challenge

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Obviously, this new job you started isn't keeping you as busy as you thought! Seriously, good luck with the challenge. I'm sure you'll have some interesting tales to tell, over the coming months.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The top 250 pub names on PuG (all unvisited pubs) or Pub Bingo, if you will. This means around 20 new ones a month, on average.

Going to be tough...!
    ...but not as tough as going for the bottom 250 on the list - there are 265 pub names listed, and the top 15 account for about 10% of the open pubs in the whole UK.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ...but not as tough as going for the bottom 250 on the list - there are 265 pub names listed, and the top 15 account for about 10% of the open pubs in the whole UK.
    Suspect there are far more than 250 names with no more than one entry!

Another few SQL / general rule tweaks -

• Singular & plurals eg Hop Pole and Hop Poles, Compass/Compasses, I'd say they need to be amalgamated, if possible.
    • Also there are Old Red Lions and Olde Red Lions - same thing, in my book.
    • Issues with words that can be separated in pub names - Horse Shoes/Horsehoes, Holly Bush/Hollybush, Odd Fellow/Oddfellows, Wool Pack/Woolpack etc
    • Finally, do apostrophes interfere with the results? Nags/Nag's/Nags' etc

Also, what do we reckon about 'Brewery Tap'? There are a few standalones though there are also loads with "(brewery name) Brewery Tap". Include and amlagamate?
    Last edited by Quinno; 16-12-2015 at 15:54.

This Space For Hire

Surely "Lounge" needs a tweak as I suspect it'll be referring to nearly all the "loungers bars" which are on here which is actually equivalent to bar, Inn, Tavern etc in the naming of their brand which are now being dropped to accommodate this challenge....

On data in Spain so haven't/can't afford to check this theory fully.

Also removing/bunching things together like Hart/Harte is wrong but his challenge his rules.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 16-12-2015 at 18:03.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Surely "Lounge" needs a tweak as I suspect it'll be referring to nearly all the "loungers bars" which are on here which is actually equivalent to bar, Inn, Tavern etc in the naming of their brand which are now being dropped to accommodate this challenge....

On data in Spain so haven't/can't afford to check this theory fully.
    I suspect most of the Lounges on the list are actually unimaginatively named hotel lounge bars. The only one of the Loungers chain should be the original one in Bedminster.

I'll stay on me own

I will never manage the complete 250 pubs with a different name that you have not been in before challenge like Quinno will do.

But i would be interested if there is a way we can see how many other members do on the list over a year,i hope to do 400 plus new pubs in 2016 and hopefully a few will be on that list.
    I dont have a printer,but it would be nice to have a tick box of some sorts to keep track of what pubs we do on the list.

Just a thought,dont want to complicate things to much though.
    We are all equal,but some are more equal than others

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Another few SQL / general rule tweaks -

• Singular & plurals eg Hop Pole and Hop Poles, Compass/Compasses, I'd say they need to be amalgamated, if possible.
    • Also there are Old Red Lions and Olde Red Lions - same thing, in my book.
    • Issues with words that can be separated in pub names - Horse Shoes/Horsehoes, Holly Bush/Hollybush, Odd Fellow/Oddfellows, Wool Pack/Woolpack etc
    • Finally, do apostrophes interfere with the results? Nags/Nag's/Nags' etc
    Still thinking about how to do this. I suspect that when it comes to applying the extra rules there is going to have to be a part automatic and part manual process that I'm starting to visualise in my head.

I assume that 'Old Red Lion', 'New Red Lion' and 'Red Lion' are all different names as far as you're concerned?

I think I have apostrophes covered already.

This Space For Hire

Makes sense just saw lounge and thought given I have one at the bottom of my road it was likely to be them accounting for the addition to the top 250.
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 16-12-2015 at 18:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I will never manage the complete 250 pubs with a different name that you have not been in before challenge like Quinno will do.

But i would be interested if there is a way we can see how many other members do on the list over a year,i hope to do 400 plus new pubs in 2016 and hopefully a few will be on that list.
    I dont have a printer,but it would be nice to have a tick box of some sorts to keep track of what pubs we do on the list.

Just a thought,dont want to complicate things to much though.
    I would very much like to make that option possible but I don't want to make any promises. If I can get 2-3 solid days work on it between Christmas and New Year then it may well be possible.