Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Quinno's 2016 challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Well done Quinno, you appear to have achieved your aims with some time to spare.
    Not quite, I still have a Buck to do. The 9th is pencilled in for this momentus occasion.

The other three will go once Dave a does a refresh of data.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    But you say in the third string of this thread that it's based on 1st January 2016. How is it still moving?
    Ideals met reality. Turned out that once I started having a good reserach of the lists, there were a number of pubs that either weren't called that name or had closed. Places like West End, Crows Nest, Stanley Arms fell off the listto be replaced by others like Squirrel, Fighting Cock etc. And during the year I don't want to head to a pub that was eligible on Jan 1st but no longer is come mid-November.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I did just quickly throw together a quinno hit list map
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/ch.../quinnomap.php
    This is the 1600 ish pubs that have one of the names quinno still needs.
    Love it! But Sseems to be showing some odd ones (Lighthouse?) - is it based on a previous static data run?
    Last edited by Quinno; 02-12-2016 at 18:37.

So today was the momentus day where the Quinno 250 Challenge was officially completed. A slog over to Swansea yielded the final hit - Buck Inn - hardly a high point to finish on, but I've learnt over the past year that with certain pub names, beggars cannot be choosers. I can still taste the GK Rockin Rudolf now.

Here's the moment of triumph earlier on this afternoon, inbetween the dancing girls and autographs:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_150 Dec. 09 23.44.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	1426

In reality, the 250 was probably closer to 275 what with the ins and outs of the list over the year, at the fag-end it was a almost a monthly churn. Many hours of manual data cleansing of the PUG database as well.

One sad thing is the amount of closures the list highlighted over the year. For example, the gross figure of the top 20 names at the very start of the year is over 100 down on the figure listed today, almost a 2% drop.

Also that Dog & Duck - the archetype country pub name - has so few in reality, just 16 (it dropped off the final list!).

No year-long challenge for me next year, this one has cost far too many hours and given my liver a fright on occasion. However, the 'county in a long weekend' will be happening in 2017. Watch out, Rutland!

Finally, big thanks to Dave for the fantastic interactive list http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/ch...e/quinno/2016/ (accessed hundreds of times on the road!) and to my companions on the journey, especially Marc 'Deggy' Turner for selflessly chauffering me round such delights as Hull, Plymouth and Stoke. Couldn't have done it without him.

Now got 100-odd reviews to write-up!
    Last edited by Quinno; 09-12-2016 at 23:11.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    So today was the momentus day where the Quinno 250 Challenge was officially completed. A slog over to Swansea yielded the final hit - Buck Inn - hardly a high point to finish on, but I've learnt over the past year that with certain pub names, beggars cannot be choosers. I can still taste the GK Rockin Rudolf now.

Here's the moment of triumph earlier on this afternoon, inbetween the dancing girls and autographs:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_150 Dec. 09 23.44.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	1426

In reality, the 250 was probably closer to 275 what with the ins and outs of the list over the year, at the fag-end it was a almost a monthly churn. Many hours of manual data cleansing of the PUG database as well.

One sad thing is the amount of closures the list highlighted over the year. For example, the gross figure of the top 20 names at the very start of the year is over 100 down on the figure listed today, almost a 2% drop.

No year-long challenge for me next year, this one has cost far too many hours and given my liver a fright on occasion. However, the 'county in a long weekend' will be happening in 2017. Watch out, Rutland!

Finally, big thanks to Dave for the fantastic interactive list http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/stats/ch...e/quinno/2016/ (accessed hundreds of times on the road!) and to my companions on the journey, especially Marc 'Deggy' Turner for selflessly chauffering me round such delights as Hull, Plymouth and Stoke. Couldn't have done it without him.
    That's one hell of an achievement and has taken true dedication.x250.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Top stuff Quinno, absolutely outstanding performance!

Yes brilliant Quinno, I hope for your livers (and wallets) sake no more drop off the list between now and new year.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Top stuff Quinno, absolutely outstanding performance!
    Absolutely, but Marc 'Deggy' Turner sounds a star too!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Absolutely, but Marc 'Deggy' Turner sounds a star too!
    Yep, meant to include that - Deggy, literally the driving force behind the mission!

Congratulations, I must admit I found the whole idea just too complicated!
    When I was in South Wales recently I was told about someone trying to get round all of the Red Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post

Also that Dog & Duck - the archetype country pub name - has so few in reality, just 16 (it dropped off the final list!).
    The Walthamstow one remains closed. There isn't a single original pub left between Bell Corner (excluding the Bell) and the summit of Chingford Mount.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Well done Quinno on your 250 challenge, I expect you'll have to see a lot more of the Mrs now, Ha !
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 13-12-2016 at 08:04.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Well done, Quinno. Have to admire your dedication to the cause.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.