Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Shocking News

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Default Shocking News

The Leopold

From Facebook

The Leopold Tavern
    3 hrs ·
    Today is not a good day!
    We have decided to surrender our lease on the leopold! The reason is because our landlord (Enterprise Inns) have decided to put our rent up to an extent that we feel that the business is no longer viable! It is not a decision we have taken lightly and we have been negotiating with them for 8 months. We would like to thank all of our customers for the continued support but unfortunately Enterprise Inns do not share our vision. How a building the size of the Leopold is worth 50k a year rent is beyond us but that's what they want! (On top of ridiculous beer prices). To this end our last trading day will be Sunday 19th February. Most importantly we would like to thank our brilliant staff that made our little pub the home it has become to you all for the last 14 years.
    Thanks to all of you. X
    #gutted!

The Leopold is a truly awesome and busy pub, this is a travesty.
    Ok, maybe just for one......................

And this is not the first time that a pubco has forced a publican out with an unjustified rent hike, and I don't suppose it will be the last either. But I think Enterprise are the worst. You'd think the pub adjudicator would have the power to do something in a case like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    But I think Enterprise are the worst.
    They are in pub terms , the Antichrist.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    The Leopold

From Facebook

The Leopold Tavern
    3 hrs ·
    Today is not a good day!
    We have decided to surrender our lease on the leopold! The reason is because our landlord (Enterprise Inns) have decided to put our rent up to an extent that we feel that the business is no longer viable! It is not a decision we have taken lightly and we have been negotiating with them for 8 months. We would like to thank all of our customers for the continued support but unfortunately Enterprise Inns do not share our vision. How a building the size of the Leopold is worth 50k a year rent is beyond us but that's what they want! (On top of ridiculous beer prices). To this end our last trading day will be Sunday 19th February. Most importantly we would like to thank our brilliant staff that made our little pub the home it has become to you all for the last 14 years.
    Thanks to all of you. X
    #gutted!

The Leopold is a truly awesome and busy pub, this is a travesty.
    I've not been to this one but most of the Walthamstow pubs are Enterprise including (IMO) the two best the Bell and the Rose and Crown. Enterprise really are incredibly stupid as most of their pubs are failing dives that I wouldn't bother going in if the beer was less than two quid a pint. To put successful ones in jeopardy like this is a complete joke.
    I saw on the news today that business rates are about to take a big hike, especially in London and the SE. This will add more pressure on the whole pub trade and the inflation due to leaving the EU (don't even get me started on that one!) is hitting microbreweries hard. If the idiot chancellor increases excise duty in the budget then I think there will be a whole load of brewery closures. There is also the possibility that struggling pubs will struggle even more and close.

Enterprise are also responsible for this one being closed. Long time licensee Stan retired at the end of 2016 and has not been replaced.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    You'd think the pub adjudicator would have the power to do something in a case like this.
    The Pub Adjudicator is a certain Mr Paul Newby who used to be a Director of Flurets and still has shares in the company, he has also loaned Flurets some money.

Flurets sell pubs for Pubcos notably...... err Enterprise and Punch.

Of the 121 cases referred to the Adjudicator in the six months it has existed, a decision has been reached in precisely zero cases. The House of Commons has passed a motion to reopen his appointment process. See Private Eye 1437 page 39

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I saw on the news today that business rates are about to take a big hike, especially in London and the SE
    http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/L...-business-ALMR
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Actually have been in Leopold, shocking news indeed but that is Enterprise for you

Article in Portsmouth News on it
    http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/business...hike-1-7821942

Being Albert Road it won't be long before someone pins blame on a lap dancing club due to open,as well as Brexit, & D Trump http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/business...road-1-7817240

I heard on R4 about rates, this one was featured, huge hike pending, but given location I guess it may survive http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubreviews/14813/
    I drink to make others more interesting